Skip to main content
Topic: Prototype Parts & Photos (Read 2835 times) previous topic - next topic

Prototype Parts & Photos

I've been going through some older Ford-related material and have found some evidence of prototype parts for our cars. I recalled the photos someone posted in another thread (here) of the clock being moved to the passenger side panel of the 1983 prototype model cars, and that reminded me to get off my backside and get some screenshots of other prototype parts that I've seen over the years.

The first one is a proposed lighter panel for the 1983s. Note the power mirror joystick in the lower left of the photo:

This may very well be a 1982 car used for the image...someone with a Box Fox would have to confirm that.

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #1
Here are a few more:

A prototype 1985 Cougar LS...note the "LS" nomenclature on the trunklid instead of on the taillight reflector:

The same for an '85 XR7. Also, the taillights don't seem as smoked as usual:

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #2
I'll go ahead and post the 83 prototype pic
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #3
I want that Steering Wheel.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #4
That steering wheel can be found on Mustangs from the early to mid 80's
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #5
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.
i thought I've even seen one somewhere (Online) with a bird center cap.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #6
Here are a few interesting items i found trawling on the net......enjoy!

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #7
Quote from: Chuck W;317642
I'll go ahead and post the 83 prototype pic

That's cool to see a live one captured. Tach where the clock was and the Mustang GT specific steering wheel without the leather spoke wrap. Also I noticed that this prototype has the Mustang GT halo headrests. I always liked those.

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #8
Quote from: MY83T;317713

This thing would have been awesome! Especially for the early 80's. :eek:

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #9
Quote from: Romeo2k;317781
This thing would have been awesome! Especially for the early 80's. :eek:

I don't recall ever seeing this prototype CRT screen before... Probably my memory fails but it was really advanced technology for its day. Such a shame it took 25 years to get hooked up with this in some of the new Ford cars.

If anyone remembers, I know at least the Buick Reatta and Riviera was among the first cars to have a CRT screen control option.

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #10
I knew two people with Toronado Troféos that had the CRT touch screens. The '86 had a blue monochrome screen, and the 1990 had a color screen. Undoubtedly they were the same ones used in the Rivieras and Reattas. They were...interesting to say the least. Looking back, they were definitely ahead of their time but the execution was marginal at best. The utilization of a screen to control multiple functions in a car was called "telematics" back then. Times have changed VERY quickly.

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #11
Quote from: EricCoolCats;317874
I knew two people with Toronado Troféos that had the CRT touch screens. The '86 had a blue monochrome screen, and the 1990 had a color screen. Undoubtedly they were the same ones used in the Rivieras and Reattas. They were...interesting to say the least. Looking back, they were definitely ahead of their time but the execution was marginal at best. The utilization of a screen to control multiple functions in a car was called "telematics" back then. Times have changed VERY quickly.

Yeah I forgot about the Toronado Trofeo offering the CRT screen too. All those cars were based on the same FWD platform.

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #12
Here are a few more prototype parts...

A rather odd steering wheel center for this 1985 XR7:

And a prototype speedometer for an '85 GS; note the red outline surrounding the speedo module:

I have seen other instances of a red-outlined digital speedo in some early Ford communications.

Also I believe the Mexican Cougars had a red-lit radio with Spanish nomenclature. Since a certain percentage of the Mexican cars had to have Mexican-made content before they were sold there, it makes sense that they'd have their own unique radio. I don't know if a matching red speedo ever made the grade though; all indications are that they had the same spinach green ones that we did in the U.S. and Canada.

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #13
Early 1985 dash photo's

At first glance it looks pretty normal; however the more you look, the more you notice that there are many items that aren’t the same as the final production version.

• Non XR-7 dash and it has a fog lamp switch
  • The control buttons for the digital dash smaller and spaced differently
  • The size of the openings around the clock, radio and HVAC controls are smaller and lack the black bezels surrounds
  • The clock is different
  • EATC panel is completely different than the production version (first photo)
  • Passenger side vent is not color-keyed
  • Cougar nameplate on the passenger side
  • The radio buttons are different than the production radio and it is missing the AMS function
  • Incorrect radio for the graphic equalizer option

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Prototype Parts & Photos

Reply #14
That CRT screen looks very similar to the one in the 1985 Comtech Lincoln Mark VII.  Comtech was an electronics company that made that screen, supposedly a few Marks came with it...and there's a unique VIN for 1985 Comtech models to prove it.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way