Skip to main content
Topic: 88 3.8 V6 to 5.0 V8 Swap questions (Read 380 times) previous topic - next topic

88 3.8 V6 to 5.0 V8 Swap questions

looking into swapping my 88 V6 bird to a 302 from a mustang / explorer

I've read the guide on coolcats and apparently my car is pretty much set up for the 5.0 but I'll need a 86-88 5.0 engine harness from a bird or cougar

has anyone done this swap on an 88 here to confirm that? or any other things I should know? thanks
1988 Thunderbird V6: all stock other than the radio

1988 Thunderbird TC: Chip's Ranger R Cam (with Esslinger cam gear), Stinger FMIC, .60/.63 SVO Turbo, Pimp V1.4, Spartan2 Wideband, Forge DP BOV

Re: 88 3.8 V6 to 5.0 V8 Swap questions

Reply #1
Yeah, you'll need the '88 engine harness from a Cat/Bird 5.0, as well as fuel lines (or make your own)

It's better if you have a complete V8 car, but the engine harness alone is enough to get you where you want to be.

While not on topic, the stock V6 brakes are barely adequate for the 3.8, so I'd recommend something more modern if you've not done that already.

I might still have a set of V8 fuel lines from when I was messing with my Sport. All other parts are long gone, save for a TC hood and some smaller stuff. Where are you? Close to North Missouri? I'd make you a hell of a deal on whatever Bird parts I have left. Can't remember what all I have, but it's a fair amount of stuff. Really rather not hassle with shipping the bigger parts, but wouldn't rule it out, either.

'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Re: 88 3.8 V6 to 5.0 V8 Swap questions

Reply #2
Yeah, you'll need the '88 engine harness from a Cat/Bird 5.0, as well as fuel lines (or make your own)

It's better if you have a complete V8 car, but the engine harness alone is enough to get you where you want to be.

While not on topic, the stock V6 brakes are barely adequate for the 3.8, so I'd recommend something more modern if you've not done that already.

I might still have a set of V8 fuel lines from when I was messing with my Sport. All other parts are long gone, save for a TC hood and some smaller stuff. Where are you? Close to North Missouri? I'd make you a hell of a deal on whatever Bird parts I have left. Can't remember what all I have, but it's a fair amount of stuff. Really rather not hassle with shipping the bigger parts, but wouldn't rule it out, either.

I'm in Florida near Tampa
1988 Thunderbird V6: all stock other than the radio

1988 Thunderbird TC: Chip's Ranger R Cam (with Esslinger cam gear), Stinger FMIC, .60/.63 SVO Turbo, Pimp V1.4, Spartan2 Wideband, Forge DP BOV