Skip to main content
Topic: Cobra intake and 1/2" spacer issues (Read 2028 times) previous topic - next topic

Cobra intake and 1/2" spacer issues

GT40 1/2" spacer bolts.

Got the jeg's kit, tried to use it on my Cobra intake...but...the kit has two long bolts, 4 short (like an HO), but my Cobra intake has 4 long bolts and 2 short..

Also, the bolts with Jeg's kit are cheaply finished and threaded, and aren't even straight.

Beyond pissed right now..otherwise my intake would be completely done, and I could've gotten onto the cam install.

Do I have one of those chinese replica Cobra intakes? Could've SWORN I saw a Ford casting number on it.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #1
at one time, I made all of my upper intake bolts from all thread and used a nut on the top to hold it all down. I've since moved on to better things and no spacer ;)

Reply #2
I'm not opposed to that in the interest of getting stuff done and put aside lol.

I looked my upper over today, it is a genuine '93 Cobra casting...code of F3 on it. Intended to grab a pic but was busy trying to diagnose a misfire on an '02 Ranger, 2.3/auto.

New plugs, wires, pulled codes, indicated a misfire on cyls 1 and 3, and O2 sensors show lean. Bad cams?

Rented a compression tester from Oreilly...ed hose wouldn't fit into the gauge...have to go back tomorrow and exchange it for one that works. Customer isn't happy with me, but she understands it's not my fault.

By the way, G, do you know the thread count on those plenum bolts?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
I believe they are 5/16 coarse thread. You can use all thread with no issues as I did the same thing on my old Cobra intake. If you have a Fastenal any where close you could just get the other two boots you need from them. If they don't have them I would guess they could have them the next day.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
There's a Fastenal about 20 miles, in the next town. I'll see about getting over there in the next few days. Thank ya! :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
I would measure the length of the bolt from under the head and double check that it is 5/16" coarse thread.  Call them and see if they have them in stock or if they need to order them as it would suck to drive 40 miles round trip for nothing.  I think they can even ship them to your house and save you the drive.  McMaster-Carr is another good source but you have to know what you are ordering as its all online.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #6
I used the FRPP GT40 1/2" intake spacer between the Explorer upper and GT40 lower on my car. The Explorer upper has the same bolt configuration as the Cobra upper. All I did was take one of the long bolts to the local ACE Hardware and bought two more the same length. I used the two long bolts that came with the spacer, the two long bolts I bought, and two of the short bolts that came with the spacer to bolt the upper down. Worked fine.

As a FYI the intake spacer doesn't add any power. I just run it because without a 1/2" spacer the throttle cable and bracket hit the passenger side valve cover. I run the FRPP finned "COBRA" EFI valve covers. If you have stock Mustang valve covers the upper will clear fine without a spacer.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
That's why I run my spacer....for the valve covers.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
That's the reason I need it as well...the Motorsport v/c I have will contact the linkage. ;)

I actually read it would make some torque...but not enough to justify getting the spacer just for that half of one foot-pound or so...:D

We have a pretty good mom 'n pop hardware store just 5 minutes away, but I'm pretty certain they don't stock a long bolt like that. They DO have all thread though. And it seems like just by eyeballing the upper, that the two center-most bolts ate a little longer than outer two upper would be...maybe half inch, 3/4" perhaps.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
good luck with this,,, I would like to hear an explanation from Jegs on the bolts being crooked and all that.

Reply #10
I'm not even going to deal with those losers. I didn't order the spacer, it came with the intake when I got it from a friend. It was sealed up, and he wouldn't ass with it anyway.

I've got the intake on the back burner, for a minute, I need to get the block oven-cleanered off and washed, cam in, other pan/pan gasket swapped on, painted, heads on, etc. I can deal with the intake sneeze once the block is in the car..

I'm already getting bored with this project....or maybe I need a cup of coffee... ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6