Skip to main content
Topic: New lers (Read 10149 times) previous topic - next topic

New lers

Reply #30
Quote from: vinnietbird;396132
Who is going to be on their knees looking at your dumps? Keep the tail pipes.

Its the fact you CAN'T see them poking out the back of the car that I like.  I always liked the factory exhaust on these cars because it was not that noticable at all.  If I remember, it was even blacked out and had turndowns at the rear bumper.  Sleek, stealthy, and subtle.  That's what a fox T-bird is all about, IMO.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New lers

Reply #31
Mine was totally stock, it was not black, just alumanized.
Mike

New lers

Reply #32
I could have sworn on my stock exhaust the tailpipes were blacked out.  Maybe my Dad painted them when he owned the car.  I had new exhaust put on in about '99 or so so its been awhile, lol.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New lers

Reply #34
I have 3" tail pipes on my 83 and they clear just fine over the axle.  Get some 2.5" Fox Mustang GT tail pipes (like a few others have stated) and just have them extended (its somewhere around 8") and tucked tight.  I did this with the driver side pipe on my 85 TC and you could not see the tail pipe except through the rear wheel well behind the tire.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

New lers

Reply #35
Quote from: thunderjet302;396017
Dynomax Super Turbos should get you what you want.

Ordered these yesterday, I hope they quiet it down some but still sound OK!

I have 3" tail pipes on my 83 and they clear just fine over the axle. Get some 2.5" Fox Mustang GT tail pipes (like a few others have stated) and just have them extended (its somewhere around 8") and tucked tight. I did this with the driver side pipe on my 85 TC and you could not see the tail pipe except through the rear wheel well behind the tire.

Darren

Darren- I actually do have 2.5" Mustang tailpipes now, extended with stainless 3" tips.  They are made by pypes.  You can actually see the whole length of them from the wheel well back.

New lers

Reply #36
Quote from: 50tbrd88;396310
Darren- I actually do have 2.5" Mustang tailpipes now, extended with stainless 3" tips.  They are made by pypes.  You can actually see the whole length of them from the wheel well back.

That's because you have Mustang LX tails.  GT tails ride higher and have a turndown at the end.
LX tails
GT tails

New lers

Reply #37
You learn something new every day.  I guess I never really knew there was a difference in tailpipes.  I was never a fox Mustang fan, so I don't claim to be an expert on them by any means.  I just figured fox Mustang tailpipes were all the same.

New lers

Reply #38
make sure theyre chamberd lers, if they have that fiber pack BS in them it'll eventually wear down over time and the noise gets louder. Personal preference I love my mac's so far. I havent had my car down the road yet soI couldnt begin to tell you what they sound like at 40+ mph but at idle it is a little noisy but it evens out as it goes.

I also had a 94 ram with dual 50 series flowmasters on it. That believe it or not sounded realllly good. Very quiet. Until you laid into it.

I hope you get the sound your looking for.

New lers

Reply #39
Run the GT tails, and since you've got to extend them anyway, you might consider swapping some of the pipe for some short glasspacks (not resonators or cherry bombs, but glasspacks with raised interior louvers set facing upstream), as a resonator. Personally, I like what that does to the sound, especially if you use a chambered ler, with super turbos you're probably good with just GT tails.

New lers

Reply #40
I talked to a buddy of mine who has his own shop.  He has done some work for me in the past and does awesome exhaust fab work.

This weekend I am going to work on the car (new struts, shocks, rear springs).  I am also going to bolt in my new lers.  Since I plan on having him check my alignment on his rack after doing the struts anyway, I asked him if he would fab me up some tailpipes similar to the Fox GT ones. 

I checked and the cheapest fox GT tailpipes are in the $50 range per side, then you factor in paying someone to lengthen them and I think I'd be money ahead just to have him bend them up from scratch.

So if anyone wants some stainless Pypes tailpipes, I might have some for sale soon.  I will probably keep the Violator lers for some other projects.

New lers

Reply #41
The problem with local shops and the hydraulic benders they typically have is that the bends required to go up an over the rear end usually end up with some crush and can restrict the flow up to 20% on average.  I say this as that my buddy's family owned an exhaust shop for over 40 years and Mike was a magician at exhausts.  He would buy mandrel bends to do 3" and larger exhausts due to how custom they are with the large diameter pipe.  With anything 2-1/2" and down he bought the kits which already had mandrel bends as he could not build them any cheaper.  Now with that said your friend may be like mine and  good at what he does but to really knock out a set of tail pipes he would most likely want to use a stock tail pipe to pattern the new one off of.  Now going to all this trouble I am highly doubting you want to use the anemic 2-1/4" stock tail pipes either.

My suggestion is to buy the ones for $50 if they are mandrel bent and let him add the necessary length.  This in the lone run will be cheaper, look better, and only take a couple of hours.  Just my experience from all the years in high school and after college hanging out at the in Shop watching Mike, his bother, and their dad make hundreds of exhaust systems.

Darren

New lers

Reply #42
I figured he will use the tailpipes currently on the car as a pattern for the over the axle part and then just change up the tailpipe section.  He can do this cheap for me, basically for the price of the materials.  I didn't figure it would cut down flow that much though.

New lers

Reply #43
Talk to him and see what he thinks.  His time is money and the aftermarket 2.5" mandrel bent tail pipes will definitely cut down on the install time.

Darren

New lers

Reply #44
Quote from: Aerocoupe;396497
Talk to him and see what he thinks.  His time is money and the aftermarket 2.5" mandrel bent tail pipes will definitely cut down on the install time.

Darren

Just talked to my exhaust guy and decided to go with the mandrel bent fox Mustang GT tailpipes based on our conversation.  He said with his pipe bender, it would be hard to replicate the GT turndowns.  The only way he would be able to do it right would be to weld on some sort of chrome turndowns, and that is not what I want.

So I ordered Walker/Dynomax 2.5" GT style tailpipes and he is going to lengthen them for me.  Hope they get here quick as my appointment is Tuesday.