Skip to main content
Topic: I drove a 4 banger mustang (Read 2486 times) previous topic - next topic

I drove a 4 banger mustang

It was a freshly rebuilt 2.3 by my girlfriends grandpa. He was unsure about letting her use a turbo so he left it n/a until she gets used to it.

I have to ask though, does the turbo REAAALLY wake these motors up that much? I was very surprised by the lack of "giddy up and go" it had compared to say, a stock turbocoupe.

Its been bugging me, I think my 4.0 explorer would eat it alive from a stop lol. I think it would be a fair race between it and my 33 foot winnebago, lets put it that way.
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #1
yep.. they're pretty weak in stock NA form.. especially if it's an auto.. i had an 82 capri with an NA 2.3 that was originally a 4 speed car.. it was a real dog until i swapped in a T5.. still wasn't 'fast' but it was a vast improvement
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #2
Quote from: blain_gatterdam;371244
It.

I have to ask though, does the turbo REAAALLY wake these motors up that much? I was very surprised by the lack of "giddy up and go" it had compared to say, a stock turbocoupe.

A 2.3 is basically a 2.3, yes the turbo makes a world of difference... Is it a SVO??? Those were the only EFI turbo stangs...There was a carbed version from '79-'81 but those only had around 6psi boost and were still pretty lame... If the engine doesn't have forged pistons, boosting it more than 6-7 psi is a recipe for disaster...

I had a '87 notch Stang with the EFI 2.3 & 5-speed, wasn't terrible but not exactly fast either, gave it to my younger daughter... She drove my automatic TC for approx a week(the one that now has the 5.0)and commented how much faster it was than the stang... I had the boost only up to 13psi, still it would slaughter the little Stang...

A carbed 2.3 Stang with automatic was a real dog, the EFI were a little better...

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;371247
. Is it a SVO??? Those were the only EFI turbo stangs...There was a carbed version from '79-'81 but those only had around 6psi boost and were still pretty lame...

There were Mustang GT Turbos and Capri RS Turbos in 83-84.  EFI, same engine as the 83-84TC's.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W;371255
There were Mustang GT Turbos and Capri RS Turbos in 83-84.  EFI, same engine as the 83-84TC's.
Thanks Chuck, see what old age does for your memory???

Reply #5
Without intention to start a debate with the 2.3 fans, I'd say after owning my 90 Stang LX that the only ways to make an n/a Lima faster is to either replace it, or pressurize the hell out of it.

Mine is a dog...swear that my Dodge Aries wagon would run circles around it..:toilet:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
I'd say after owning my 90 Stang LX that the only ways to make an n/a Lima faster is to either replace it, or pressurize the hell out of it.

consider it replaced! :P
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #7
Yea, they're pretty gutless. Especially if it's a SVO and her dad left the turbo off since those have low compression pistons. The n/a 2.3 is tolerable with a 5 speed, but there's no way I'd own another one with an automatic.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #8
OUCH.. crunch.. at least it was an easily replaceable mustang and not the bird!

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #9
haha yeah, and of course what matters is she walked away without a scratch... I just got to drive it back home like that... sitting on the armrest lol

Reply #10
That really sucks. looked like a pretty clean notch as well.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #11
this is my old 88 2.3l turbocoupe, it was mildly modded, bobs log header, chuck w motor mounts, motorsport front mount, and a b&m shifter. Also put it on a diet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdXo3wJZKfY&list=UUgeliLVHk3QoAVGPTOhJYgg&index=13&feature=plcp
here is my current toy, 83 ranger 2.3l turbo with alot more done to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT6GdSIbK8&list=UUgeliLVHk3QoAVGPTOhJYgg&index=1&feature=plcp
I need to make an updated video with the exhaust on and it running right, it had a burned plug that day.

long story short yes n/a 2.3l's suck, but add a hair dryer and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Reply #12
Mine wasnt bad. I was a 89 LX 5spd. It had 2.25" exhaust, K&N, and a ranger roller cam. It wasn't fast but it was still fun to drive. I through that car in to on and off ramps hardly ever slowing down. I mess it, with a turbo and some suspension tuning it would have made a good autocross car.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #13
Quote from: 4bangen;377735
long story short yes n/a 2.3l's suck, but add a hair dryer and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

hahahah.. the IHI's are about the size of a hair dryer

Reply #14
Quote from: Shadow;377738
hahahah.. the IHI's are about the size of a hair dryer

not my hair dryer,