Skip to main content
Topic: Ordering My brake stuff (Read 4741 times) previous topic - next topic

Ordering My brake stuff

Ok, here goes my list for the parts store, late model resto, and jegs.

-----Advance auto-------
2004 Mustang Cobra
-Front Discs (vented, not drilled slotted)
-Pads
-Calipers (painting gunmetal to match the rear)

1998 Mustang GT
-Rear calipers
-Pads
-Brake booster

-----Late Model Resto-----
1993 Cobra
-Master Cylinder ($89 bucks with resivour.... wow!)

-----Ebay-----
-1995 Mustang Spindles

-----Jegs-----

-20' stainless tubing (maybe X2 to repair my fuel lines also.

Let me know if any of this isnt going to work. I read to get a 95 booster but all years pull up the same part number. Trying to keep the years together so I can remember easily most of it is '98
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #1
the front brakes will be $160 for the whole setup vs paying $250+ for ugly red calipers that say "cobra" lol. Trying to keep this looking like stock...subtle....ford
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #2
Pretty sure you are going to need cobra specific brackets. Buying those separate will eliminate most if not all of the savings of going with the parts store calipers.

I am killing myself for not buying one of the kits while they were flooding the market...and cheap.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #3
from what we were looking at on their computer, the caliper came with the bracket that mounts to the spindle... thats what you mean right?

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #4
Yes, thats what im referring to.

Ill be shocked if they come with them. And then Ill order a set for myself. Id order those in and check them out before you buy anything else.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #5
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Brake-Caliper-Front-Fenco_18621097-P_1162_R|GRPBRHYAMS_1891852947____#fragment-4

"Reman Caliper w/ Bracket & Hardware; Front Left"

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #6
the reviews say the bracket is not included, the one listed for $143 says w/bracket but i will order one of these in just to see

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #7
Ordered a set without a down payment because the guys there were curious if they were wrong or the reviewer is wrong.

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #8
Great homework id love to know the result I'm looking to do the same thing. Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #9
Get the booster from a 1993 Cobra as I have heard it is a direct or more of a direct bolt in. I have done the cobra conversion on my 93 Coupe and the 83 Bird using the 95 GT booster and it worked but I had to elongate the holes in the firewall and dimple the shock tower to get them in.

The rear calipers are the same between a GT and a Cobra.  What is different are the two mounting brackets. Yes, there are two per side. One is the axle tube to caliper bracket and the other is the axle tube bracket to caliper. AutoZone sells just the caliper bracket for about $15 if memory serves me right.  You should be able to find the axle tube bracket on most Mustang websites (Corral, Stangnet, or DFWStangs) for around $70.

If you are keeping the stock K-member then the best spindle to use is the 94/95 spindle due to the geometry of the spindle with a stock K-member with regards to bump steer. If you cannot locate a set of these spindles then get the 96+ spindles and a bolt through style bump steer kit from Maximum Motorsports.

With all that being said I would also strongly recommend that you get a set of caster/camber plates if you do not already have them and Maximum also sells these and IMO they are the best.

One last thing is the master cylinder, I use a 95 Mustang GT unit on both cars and the braking is awesome and they are waaaay cheaper that the Cobra units. However, depending on the year of the car you may want to use a unit off of a 1985 Lincoln Continental due to the threads being SAE versus the metric threads on the 1993 and up units.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #10
You can't get the cobra specific brackets from ford at least. I tried. Although you can get the caliper w/bracket from Rockauto. That's where I'm getting mine from.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #11
You can still get them new in a kit. Summit still sells them here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-2300-M/

It says it's for a GT but in the description they are for 11.65" vented rotors which are the Cobra rears. I used this kit on my Coupe. Here is the kicker, to use these brackets you will need to use SN95 Mustang length axles. There are several threads here discussing axle lengths so you should be able to research this pretty well.

If you are going to use Fox Mustang length axles then you will need to use these brackets here:

http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

The Cobra brackets are the ones you want. They also have the axles if you need them and I believe they are the Yukon brand but call to make sure.

I believe I have posted about this in the past and some of the other guys chimed in as well so there is a bunch of info on this site so please use the search function. If you cannot find the into then post back up and someone will get you squared up.

Darren

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #12
I'm happy with the Sn95 width GT discs I have in the rear, I just want the cobras up front.

Rock auto does show them with the bracket, And as soon as the guys at advance call me, Ill let you guys know if the $160 pair comes with brackets or not.

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #13
Just be sure to have an adjustible proportioning valve so you can adjust the brake bias. I had the SN95 rears with the Cobra fronts on my Coupe and it was pretty good with the bias adjusted. Adding the Cobra rears was only noticeable on the track and they look good better behind the larger diameter wheels but that alone is a waste of money.

Darren

Ordering My brake stuff

Reply #14
I dont mind the GT rears looking all plain, thats actually the look I'm going for. I dont want the kits that say cobra because there was never a cobra thunderbird, so as long as these calipers come with the brackets I should have a huge braking upgrade while looking like low key OEM ford...

I see the prop valves for around $40 online from ford racing, I just need to figure out what I need to do tubing wise when I re-plumb this whole thing. And is there a way with the cobra master cyl to run back 2 rear brake lines, or how am I supposed to split what I have now which is single to feed both sides of my new axle? Use that nasty looking T-Block thing from my 7.5?