Skip to main content
Topic: Heh. (The Big Reveal Is Here). (Read 9851 times) previous topic - next topic

Heh. (The Big Reveal Is Here).

Reply #60
Got more photos to explain differences with 1983-86 and 1987-88 mirrors.

Above, left to right: 1987-88 windsplitter, 1987-88 mirror with windsplitter attached, 1983-86 mirror housing, 1987-88 mirror housing with windsplitter removed.

Above: Close-up of the mirror housings. Note the extra hole on the right mirror along the side; that's for 1987-88 cars. The hole is needed to mount the windsplitter properly. An older housing (left) without the hole CANNOT be modified to accept the windsplitter correctly.

Above: A windsplitter by itself, face out. Notice the orientation of the 3 mounting holes.

Above: The reverse view. The three mounting studs are in the exact same position as 1983-86 direct-mount studs.

Now here's the big question, answered:

Above: The NOS 1983-86 mirror from the eBay listings, foam cover removed. Note the presence of the extra mounting hole, plus the drain hole on the underside.

THEREFORE: From the listed eBay auctions, one CAN definitely 100% purchase a 1983-86 mirror, remove the mounting studs, add the windsplitter from a 1987-88 car, and bolt them onto a 1987-88 car.

Hope that helps those with Cougars that thought they'd be left in the dark.

Reply #61
Now if only a source of NOS side moldings for the 87-88 cars would show up.......
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #62
And headlights...for both Cats AND Birds.

But anyway, very nice. Might just order a set myself to put away for later. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #63
Quote from: thunderjet302;326976
Now if only a source of NOS side moldings for the 87-88 cars would show up.......

we can always keep hoping, lou

on another note--darn[not the word i wanted to use] you
Eric.i didnt need mirrors but had to order 2 88 mirrors to add
to the nos pile.youre a bad influence on me---irv

Reply #64
I did see some new Lincoln lights that appeared to be the ones that match the '87/'88 Cougar head lights. Same seller.You guys better check them out.I looked through everything he had this morning. Took me 40 minutes.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #65
Quote from: Chuck W;326955
Looks like he also has the remote pass mirror to fit my '80 XR-7.  Hrmmm...  No matching driver side though.

One mirror is still one part closer to a pair.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #66
He's listing new 87-88 mirrors, too now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #67
Hey!  This place is literally within driving range for me!!  I'm going to try to get a complete listing of 87-88 thunderbird parts. I'm sure they have more than what they have in their e-bay store.  I'll let you guys know the reults, as i'm calling at 8AM tommorow.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #68
The 87-88 mirrors are tempting, but I already have a spare set and the ones on the car were painted when I had the car repainted two years ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #69
Quote from: irv;326983
we can always keep hoping, lou

on another note--darn[not the word i wanted to use] you
Eric.i didnt need mirrors but had to order 2 88 mirrors to add
to the nos pile.youre a bad influence on me---irv

(in my Yoda voice) Resist!  I must!
1987 TC

Reply #70
I got a set, hope you all did as they are now all gone

Reply #71
nope.... more left... Now they're 30 each
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #72
I dont know, I have been talking to him all day and right after I got mine he emailed me back and said he just sold the rest. Course I was only after the chrome 83-86 so he might have others left.

Reply #73
I bought two sets of '87/'88 black ones.Honestly,I'll probably shelve them.

Reply #74
says 4 available at $35 this morning for chrome
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook