Skip to main content
Topic: My head lights will not work (Read 1528 times) previous topic - next topic

My head lights will not work

I can not for the life of me get my headlights to work in my '87 cougar. I'm not a mechanic or electrician so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I know for a fact the bulbs, fuses, and switch are all good. The side markers work fine, as a matter of fact all other lights work well and easily. I've figured the problem is coming from inside the car somewhere. Power is leaving the switches but not going to the lights. What could be the possible causes?

Re: My head lights will not work

Reply #1
Is it both beams (hi/low) or just high, or just low?

I would suggets checking out the high/low beam switch (part of the turn signal switch), or the wires between the hi/low and the headlight switch itself. If both beams are not working and you're sure that power is getting out of the switch (Red/yellow wire) the problem has to be between the main switch and the high/lo switch, or in the switch itself (this assumes you have basic headlights)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
I opened up the steering column and found a wire hanging free, the plastic clip was broken it was black with purple spots. The wire went to a connector by itself( there were no more wires on the connector) on the right side of the steering column. I can't seem to find where it is supposed to connect. what would this be for?

Reply #3
Does your "Key in" chime work? This wire could be for that - I disable it in every car I own (I know the ed keys are in it, dammit, I just wanna listen to the radio!)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Hahahaha, I understand completely. But you are correct, it does not chime, which is great now I will not have to disable it. But I did finaly find the problem.  You see I've just purchased this car a few days ago and have realized whoever had it kinda half assed things as they fixed it. But I did find that while they had the steering column cover off they must have inadvertently loosened the wire to the head lights. Today YOU are my hero. Thank you so much.