Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 tbird..full body kit (Read 537 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 tbird..full body kit

Reply #1
that dashboard looks like it was painted, being soo much shinier than the rest of the interior.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #2
As much as I HATE red interiors, I'm calling about that one.  If I could get that, would be cheaper to part mine out or sell it than to try to fix it up.  Hate to do that to the old girl since I'm the OO, but too many mouths to feed and not enough cash to have my EuroBird fixed up.  Not fond of the 3.8 either (same as mine) but sure like the looks of that car with the body kit.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #3
The full body kit alone with the spoiler is worth a pretty penny too
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #4
I swear I used to see that same car driving around here a long time ago.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Called the guy last night.  Still has it.  Going up there this weekend if all goes as planned.  Takin the missus with me, and the cash.  If I like what I see up close, will probably bring it home.

Reply #6
Quote from: Ductape91;282807
that dashboard looks like it was painted, being soo much shinier than the rest of the interior.

The flash fired on the camera.  With copious amounts of Armor-all or the like I could see how it could make it look that way...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

86 Birds X 2

Reply #7
Quote from: V8Demon;283029
The flash fired on the camera. With copious amounts of Armor-all or the like I could see how it could make it look that way...

Well, having seen it first hand, it IS copious amounts of Armorall. That's the factory interior. The seats are mildly faded on the shoulders of the backs, otherwise, the interior is in stupendous shape for a 23 year old car. This machine has been WELL taken care of. Wanna know the really wild news? It has just under 49500, ORIGINAL miles according to the odo. I checked the metric display for possible rollover, and nope, that's original. Showing just under 80000 KM. The only way that could be wrong is if the ODO were reset, or replaced. I don't think either has happened. The title said it had just over 30K on it when the PO bought it in '06.  This thing even has the original stereo in it (which will certainly be upgraded for some better sound).  I think the window sticker is even in the glove box.

Now for the best news of all, it's sitting in my driveway tonight. Picked it up today. Gave $2K for it, but it was worth every penny. Steering's tight, everything works, shifts good, no slippage, runs sweet. I drove it home from Madison (Nashville) today, and it drove like it was on rails. Needs tires REAL bad. Already replaced the gears in the window lift motors tonight, because I had to put the windows down on the way home, and they were NOT going back up without replacing the gears or helping them out a bunch. I put the d/s window down so far, I was going to have to remove the panel to get it back up anyway, so just stopped by the parts house and got new gears. The d/s door panel has NEVER been off before tonight. I was amazed. The sers and all the body rubber on this one is STILL SOFT!!!! Even the Clip/Hood seal is still flexible.

Next target is the A/C as soon as I get all the fluids changed. After that, a ler/exhaust system. V6 power plant sounds like  with a straight pipe, and in city driving, that's a lotta vibration under the butt. This one's gonna be my show car. Not lookin to win any awards with it, just wanna show off some Ford class, and have some fun at the local car shows. Two mods already in mind, though. Black headlamp doors, and perhaps a satin black grille to replace the Argent/Chrome on it now. I may go with body color on the grill later. I have a few grilles laying around.

Oh yeah, it ain't NEARLY as red as those photos made it look. More of a rusty red, and it IS factory paint (with the exception of what's on the ground effects). Paint's a bit rough on the right rear quarter where it looks like the clearcoat came off, and the PO patched it up with rattle cans or something. Otherwise, the paint is CLEAN. Nothing some scuffing and touch-up painting won't fix. There isn't even a door ding in this thing! There is one place on the p/s door chrome where some idiots knocked the window out with a rock to steal a $200 IPOD. No cracks or ses on the effects.

I'll post some photos tomorrow night. Got greasy paw prints all over the glass from repairing the lift motors, so need to do a little cleaning first. Gonna give her a good bath and scrub the upholstery and carpet too.

It must be running pretty good, because it only burned about 1/4 tank of gas in nearly 200 miles. But, I'll give it a good going over and build up the to-do list on it tomorrow. I can't believe this car did not sell in over 2 months.

Reply #8
Quote from: Old_Paint;283026
Called the guy last night.  Still has it.  Going up there this weekend if all goes as planned.  Takin the missus with me, and the cash.  If I like what I see up close, will probably bring it home.

~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Might be time to move this thread

Reply #9
Might be time to move this to User Rides.:D

Reply #10
Awesome, glad somebody scooped it up
FOXLESS!!