Skip to main content
Topic: EcoBoost engines could be the death of F100, Ranger replacement (Read 3350 times) previous topic - next topic

EcoBoost engines could be the death of F100, Ranger replacement

Just when I've got my hopes up that Ford is pulling its head out of its ass, they make a stupid decision that makes me doubt they'll ever learn. It seems Ford's placing all of corporate its eggs in one basket again, this time the Ecoboost engine. Apparently they have canned plans for the F-100 midsize truck as well as the replacement for the Ranger.

Hello, Ford? If an Ecoboost can deliver better fuel economy in an F-150, imagine how it would do in a lighter, smaller F-100 or Ranger? Or maybe even a turbo-4 Ranger instead of a turbo-6 F-150?

Sometimes I think Ford is trying to fail.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/fords-new-efficient-engines-mean-no-more-f-100-ranger-imports.html

Ford is apparently investing so much money and resources into its new generation of EcoBoost engines and efficient transmissions that it no longer needs to bring smaller and more fuel efficient trucks to market, as the engines themselves will attain the kinds of fuel consumption numbers it wants. This likely means the long-rumored F-100 and a Ranger replacement will not see the light of day.

The EcoBoost-badged engines will not only use turbo-charging and direct injection technologies to attain low consumption, but Ford’s head of advanced powertrain research, Dan Knapp, also hinted the automaker is considering an ethanol boosting technology in a Detroit News report.
After the 3.5-liter, twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 debuts in the 2010 Lincoln MKS sedan next year, it will move in under the hoods of other models, including the F-150 pickup in about 1.5 years, Ford execs said on Wednesday.
 The F-100 would have been built at Ford’s Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, but it is being retooled for small car production.
 “We have no intention of giving up our leadership in trucks,” said Ford’s global product development chief, Derrick Kuzak. “Fuel economy (will be) a reason to buy — no longer a reason to reject — Ford vehicles.”
 Not only will Ford make its engine assembly plants more flexible to suit demand between four-cylinder and V6 or V8 engines, but the automaker also confirmed it is in discussions with General Motors on potential collaborations on powertrain development.
On a somewhat related note, we all know the 2009 F-150 has been delayed because Ford has already antited nobody wants one (their official excuse is to allow dealerships to dump 2008 models). What do you suppose the chances are that Ford may have looked around at the competition, then at its own offering, and realized that a new face on substandard powertrains isn't going to cut it? Maybe they are learning from the Taurus/500 fiasco, where a perfectly good car failed miserably in the market because it was brought before customers before decent drivetrains were available? Maybe, just maybe, Ford is readying the Hurricane/Boss engine for the new truck's debut instead of presenting us a sorry, underpowered schmoe of a truck for the first model year, like they did with the Five Hundred?

Sorry, Ford, but desperately underpowered engines AND shiznittiest-in-class fuel economy in a supposed "All-new" vehicle isn't going to cut the mustard...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
Maybe they are learning from the Taurus/500 fiasco, where a perfectly good car failed miserably in the market because it was brought before customers before decent drivetrains were available? Maybe, just maybe, Ford is readying the Hurricane/Boss engine for the new truck's debut instead of presenting us a sorry, underpowered schmoe of a truck for the first model year, like they did with the Five Hundred?

No, they haven't learned.  The 2010 Mustang replete with new sheetmetal will hit showrooms withthe same drive train options it has now.  The word is they will offer the NEW drivetrains mid-model year.

Who in their right mind will buy an early model then?

Looks like I'm waiting till 2011 to even think about another one....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
Quote from: V8Demon;231189
No, they haven't learned.  The 2010 Mustang replete with new sheetmetal will hit showrooms withthe same drive train options it has now.  The word is they will offer the NEW drivetrains mid-model year.

Who in their right mind will buy an early model then?

Looks like I'm waiting till 2011 to even think about another one....

What are the new drivetrains for the Stang?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #3
Unknown at this point....The base model is rumored to be a v6 with upwards of 250 HP......400+for the base V8.....I've heard 5.0 and 6.2 modular....
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
They'd better do something...the new Camaro will have a 300hp V-6 as it's base engine.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #5
Yes, but with weights equivalent to the new Challenger they will need all the help they can get.  I find it ridiculous that they detune the big motor when mated to an auto trans.....
Just goes to show the tranny is most likely under-engineered.  I wonder how many people will grenade them.  Very similar to the TC with an A4LD.....Who says history doesn't repeat itself.