Skip to main content
Topic: mustang harness Vs. Tbird harness (Read 2028 times) previous topic - next topic

mustang harness Vs. Tbird harness

guys, i was just wondering what the difference is between say an 88 mustang (87 to 92 MAF considered) computer and engine harness compared to the 87-88 5.0 tbird harness?

from what you guys say the 5.0 HO drops right in place of the SO with nothing more than a computer cange, but if you were converting to 5.0HO from say a V6 you should use the tbird harness.

i need to know what the difference is. if im going to do the swap i plan to, ALL of my info is referrenced to a fox mustang body and engine harness.

thanks guys...john
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Re: mustang harness Vs. Tbird harness

Reply #1
anybody? :dunno:

~John~

Reply #2
This has been posted about half bazillion times(well maybe not all at once) but here goes...

IF you have a '86-'88 5.0 Bird/Coug and want to go with a Mass Air setup, it is far easier to buy one of the MA conversion kits for the '87-'88 Mustang(Only 5 or 7 wires need to be added/moved, depends on year). If you don't plan on any big mods(heads, cam, etc), then its plug and play with a SD HO EEC.

IF you have a SEFI 3.8, use a 5.0 Bird/Coug harness and see above.

IF you have a CFI 5.0, 3.8, or 2.3 turbo, IMHO it really doesn't make a lot of difference which harness is used. No harness is just gonna plug in, making it necessary to either repin the connectors or build a adaptor harness. The Bird/Coug harness may be a little easier, but will need to be converted to MA if you don't want the SD. Also the Stang air bag harnesses are a bit more complicated, making '89 as the only year with MA and no bag. You may be able to "get by" just color matching the wires, but I strongly reccomend EVTMs for the harness and the model Bird/Coug you have.

Reply #3
awesome, thank you.

unfortunately i think ya missed what i was getting at.

all the info i have gathered reguarding my particular swap refers to a 5.0 fox mustang, not a 5.0 tbird. (ive got a 88 5.0 sport)

disreguarding the mass air, whats the actual difference in the 2 harnesses? i feel confedent i can pull off the swap with the integration into a 5.0 mustang harness but i am unaware of what the differences are between that harness and the tbirds. since i am swapping into my 5.0 sport tbird and not a 5.0 mustang, i dont realy want any supprises when it comes down to it if the tbird harness is so different.

thanks again....john

~John~

Reply #4
Wake up.....I was refering to a Tbird/Cougar swap....  :brick:

As far as exact difference in the Stang and Bird/Coug 5.0 harnesses I dunno, used a '87 Sport harness in my TC(added the mass air connections before I reinstalled it). I can tell you this, the plugs and/or the pinning are different(even for the fuel pump). But except for mass air on the '89-up Stang harness, the Bird/Coug and Stangs are basically the same electrically.

Unless you want a bunch of headaches(ask manson), stick with the original Bird harness and up grade it to mass air. If you don't need the mass air, no changes are necessary.

Reply #5
okay, i understand that and appreciate it....

im not concerned with the mass air. i get it. dont need it.

here is the breakdown of my swap. i dont realy mention it alot because at this point im saving money and researching it and i tend to catch alot of  about it. anyway, sean hyland forged 4.6 (poss and hopefully 5.0) aluminum cobra short block. budget permitting, 03 heads and cams. (over 2400 right there) paxton novi 2k. otherwise 99up heads and intake and the novi 2k. its a very involved and expensive swap. breaks are affected, the wireing is a nightmare(or just expensive if you go standalone fuel mannagement) and a million little things to think about. id be happy to just get a stock 96 up cobra motor in there and have it work right.

I can tell you this, the plugs and/or the pinning are different(even for the fuel pump).
  this is the kind of stuff i need to know. like i had said. all the info i have on this swap is for a fox mustang. there fore, if theres any differences in the tbird and mustangs harness i need to find out where and what they are. for the most part none of the engine harness will be used. all of it along with the sensors will be removed and the chassi harness will be integrated into the cobras harness. pats will have to be dealt with, along with the ccrm. the cobras computer uses a ccrm to run things like the pumps, fans etc. i realy think ill end up going stand alone. life will be much easier. as far as the brakes go, well the tbird and the mustang (fox) use vaspoogee assisted brakes. say goodbuy to those. a hydrolic system will need to be integrated into the steering system. otherwise you have to go with manual brakes. there is alot more involved but i get a headake thinking about it and i know half of you are going to piss on the whole idea anyway. nothing is garrenteed and while working, having a 15 month old daughter, another on the way in september, planning to get married and saving for a  house there realy isnt alot of time or money left over.

so for now ill have to settle for tinkering with the car and keeping things rolling. i appreciate all the help i do get from the boards here...hopefully i can contribute a little more ltere when ive got more of this stuff under my belt. thanks guys, and gals...john

~John~

Reply #6
Well I didn't realize you were thinking 4 cam MOD motor swap... A lot of the info I posted is useless to you, but more info would have saved some time... And I try never to piss on anyones plans/ideas unless they are totally stupid... No I ain't gonna stick a mod motor in my shiznit anytime soon(remember I'm slowly workin on a 406 Windsor stroker), but they are the future(hopefully I'll be to senile to care).

Ever consider a Mark VIII 4.6?? If you go with a '93-'94 it would have our familiar EEC IV system.....

Reply #7
Ever consider a Mark VIII 4.6?? If you go with a '93-'94 it would have our familiar EEC IV system.....

i did

its still all on the drawing board. i just dont want to get in too far over my head. i tend to do that. there is also a kit that deleted the coil packs and uses a distributer. its like a grand for that though. there are options.

that 406 strokers gonna be a torque monster!

oh, and thanks again ;)

~John~