Skip to main content
Topic: 88 t-bird mass air/speed density harness (Read 1227 times) previous topic - next topic

88 t-bird mass air/speed density harness

Hey what's up you all,

I have an 88 t-bird that I have done a speed density ho conversion on. One of my friends needed to test try a speed density pcm so mine was 'loaned'. I have an a9l mass air computer and proflow mass air calibrated to #30's along with a mass air/pcm 60 pin harness but I forgot what year it is.
 My question is should I convert the speed density harness to mass air with one of the kits or should I just install the mass air/60pin harness? I would like the versatility to use the speed density computer in the future, if I ever get it back :giggle:

Thanks,
 Mike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #1
There are NO Fox Bird/Coug Mass air wiring harness, you'll need to use your harness and use the conversion kit...

If the engine is stock HO 30lb inj are way too much... You only need MAF for a modified engine, a stock Speed Densety HO runs harder than a stock Mass Air one...

Reply #2
The mass air harness is from a mustang but I forgot the year. The idea of speed density is good. Less restriction correct? My friend called me today and said they would send back my pcm(de batch code) I believe you and Nick gave me some advise before. I would like to do a sig but don't know how. It's a '88 t-bird so to ho conversion, paxton sn2000, tweecer, tci shift kit and lol a 3.73 auburn 7.5. It doesn't seem too fast and I haven't ever been on a track but would like to run it just for $hits and giggles.
There is a possible tps buck problem, but even so it still might make the track if a few other things are repaired. The tweecer guy said go with #42's and get rid of the fmu. Unfortunately, it seems the learning curve is steep with the tweecer. Anyway it will be fun to try. Any more advise is appreciated?

Mike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #3
I wouldn't go with the Mustang harness. It's basically the same as what you already have (if it's an '89 harness).  Go with a kit to add mass air. They aren't that expensive and are simple to install. Plus it will save a lot of aggravation.

Reply #4
10-4 :D

Thanks
 Mike

Reply #5
Check out IST. Conversion harness w/ shipping is $44. Good, easy to install.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #6
Go to the wreckers and cut off some eec pins with some wire still attached and then follow the directions for adding the pins necessary for the maf conversion,i did this and it has worked great thus far.
Also if you've got a supercharger,ditch the tweecer and go anderson pms,much easier system to program and understand and still gives you 90% of all the tweecer features.
You should be running maf with the supercharger,i've heard it is possible to use speed density but harder as the system does not really understand what you are doing therefore does not use the correct tables.
What you have heard about ditching the fmu is correct,however if your running a bone stock 5.0HO with 10psi of boost then 42lber's will be abit much.
Run 30s and a pms for tune and you should be good to go.
If you want to run a pms i can refer you to a great site for a starup tune and lots of good info also you can ask me as i run one on my blown 5.0.

Reply #7
There is a diagram of the wiring that is in Hot Rod this month for this same sawp into an '88 bird:

Should be a big help to those swapping in the mass air.

Reply #8
Hey ron what's that article about,anything else worth reading on that bird in there???

Reply #9
Hey Chris, it is just a readers question about converting an '88 tbird sport to mass air, I think they did a great job of explaining how to do it, and there is an article on swapping in a mod motor into a fox car.  This month is definatly worth getting if anybody is even half was considering these swaps IMO.

Check it out.