Skip to main content
Topic: 'Stang Skirts? (Read 2175 times) previous topic - next topic

'Stang Skirts?

Anyone ever tried putting some '89 or so GT side skirts on a :birdsmily: or :cougarsmily: ?

Wondering how close it would be... And much work to get it perfect.

I would assume the rest of the lower kit would take ALOT of work to fit.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #1
Aren't our cars longer in the middle?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #2
vininie,
  I thought they were longer after the rear axle. Like the trunk area. Im not sure, but I think they were pretty close in wheel base. I'll check.

John

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #3
Honestly they're pretty ed close. They will fit on the front fender, and absolutely perfectly under the door. They're just about 4-5" too short in length and won't fit on the rear quarter panel. If someone was good enough with urethane then they could be cut and lengthened (and maybe the Mustang GT letters filled in).

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #4
That new body adhesive I used a while back would sure do the job.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #5
Quote from: EricCoolCats;218991
Honestly they're pretty ed close. They will fit on the front fender, and absolutely perfectly under the door. They're just about 4-5" too short in length and won't fit on the rear quarter panel. If someone was good enough with urethane then they could be cut and lengthened (and maybe the Mustang GT letters filled in).

I'm pretty sure that even if they did fit it would look a bit cheesy though :hick:

That's whay I've always liked LXs better than GTs. They just look so much cleaner, like our cars :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #6
Mustangs/Capris have a shorter wheelbase than Birds/Cats.  I've got a set of skirts on the old one, I'll probably be pulling them for the rebuild.  I'm leaning heavily towards removing the rub strips, gotta resolve a couple of things first.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #7
just buy a mustang then
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #8
thought about doing it for a while after i got my bumper covers since I didnt get the skirts but I dont think I'm going to. I think I'm going to stick with just the front cover
1986 Cougar LS

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #9
Quote from: EricCoolCats;218991

I could do that no prob. If someone finds a set and wants it done, ship them to me and I'll use my car or another cat/bird to test them on. I've done alot of plastic repair and modifying. We use a fast set urethane on all covers we repair. I've shaved a whole front bumper on a 99 Eclipse and 06 Charger. This is cake. I want to try this now.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #10
Quote from: cougrrr302;219681
I could do that no prob. If someone finds a set and wants it done, ship them to me and I'll use my car or another cat/bird to test them on. I've done alot of plastic repair and modifying. We use a fast set urethane on all covers we repair. I've shaved a whole front bumper on a 99 Eclipse and 06 Charger. This is cake. I want to try this now.

do you have any pics of these?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #11
What is the brand and kind of this eurethane adhesive.I need some stat.I have a couple of ideas.How long does it take to set up?

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #12
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;219682
do you have any pics of these?

Yes I do. The guys I did them for took pics, I'll dig them up.
Quote from: vinnietbird;219683
What is the brand and kind of this eurethane adhesive.I need some stat.I have a couple of ideas.How long does it take to set up?

Its made by Valvoline believe it or not, we have it at the Shop, I'll get all the information and take a pic of the cartridge. It sets up in 10 min hard to the touch, 45 min sand time, hour paint time I think.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #13
I'll appreciate the info.Also,what's the best way to hold the two pieces of urethane together until it dries?

'Stang Skirts?

Reply #14
when I bought the DECH skirts for my LX mustang I held them up to the side of the cougar and they were REALLY close.  If I could find a cheap set again I plan to make the entire DECH kit fit...