Skip to main content
Topic: Over head car storage (Read 1881 times) previous topic - next topic

Over head car storage

Two 28’ 6” ibeams, eight 6”x6” posts, 12” junior channel, and one storage lift. When backing cars on we supported the junior channel with tall stands. Ibeams are spaced so that tires are almost directly over them. 6’3” under the beams, 5’ from top of beam to ceiling.

X

X

X

Over head car storage

Reply #1
One more

X

Over head car storage

Reply #2
Stackin em like cord wood.  :D
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Over head car storage

Reply #3
"like".....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Over head car storage

Reply #4
That's a hell of a thing.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Over head car storage

Reply #5
Impressive!

Over head car storage

Reply #6
You stole my idea!! :D  Kidding, mine involved a ramp and would be hugely impractical except in a similarly HUGE facility.
I take it the drive-on lift is portable/you mount and dismount caster wheels from it? Very cool.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Over head car storage

Reply #7

You stole my idea!!  Kidding, mine involved a ramp and would be hugely impractical except in a similarly HUGE facility.
I take it the drive-on lift is portable/you mount and dismount caster wheels from it? Very cool.

Yes, when the lift is empty there are casters that mount on the posts, then lower the lift and it pushes the casters down and lifts the posts up. Rolls around very easily.

My brother and I have talked about this for a couple years. I was renting cold storage spaces for the winter for the red SHO and the white F350. Last winter the temps fluctuated so much the units were almost always damp and the vehicles soaked with condensation. Plus I gained the 83 bird this spring.  We thought about ramps and other methods, the lift was the most feasible way to get them up there. It was a lot of work but it turned 3 spots into seven, and the building was already being heated.

Over head car storage

Reply #8
It must be nerve racking getting in and out of the cars up there.
It's Gumby's fault.

Over head car storage

Reply #9
Tbird232ci
It must be nerve racking getting in and out of the cars up there.

That wasn’t so bad, started with the white SHO and worked are way over. The nerve racking part was when the wheels transitioned from the lift to the rack.

Over head car storage

Reply #10
Every time I see a car lift I always wish I had my garage built with a taller roof. That way I could fit 3-4 cars instead of 2 in the garage. Oh well. Live and learn.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.