Skip to main content
Topic: Fox 351C Swap (Read 8676 times) previous topic - next topic

Fox 351C Swap

I am new here so I may as well start a new thread.  I saw another member posted similar subject in an old thread too.  I read through the forum site but could not find a focussed thread that deals with installing a Ford 351C-4V into a Fox body T-bird/Cougar/Lincoln. 

Here is first install of my project.  I have taken a 1986 Mark VIII LSC that I was driving last year and gutted it.  Here are a couple pics of what a 351C-4V looks like when fitted into the engine bay.  All mounts lined up with original locations on the chassis.  That was a nice win.  However, it appears that I need a new oil pan.  Found one from Milodon (#MIL-31127).  Headers appear to be the real hurdle in this project.  Anyone have suggestions of mfg recommendation for these?

Cheers,
Merco

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #1
How about a used set of Headman Hustlers

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #2
Thanks for the suggestion.  Hedman #85620 may work.  I am now working with Hedman to determine if they will.  Correction on original post, the car is a Mark VII

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #3
Be sure to let us know how it all goes. I have been seriously debating on putting the 351c4V in one of my birds. There doesn't seem to be many of these birds with this combo on these forums.
...and there was light!

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #4
I got myself a set of used slip-tube headers, which may be  Hedmans.  Either way, 351C Fox swap headers are out there.  Kooks is an expensive option.
1987 TC

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #5
I miss my 393 Cleveland..... Unported 4V heads, 3-angle valve job..crower custom solid roller cam (239/246 @ .50 dur, and .588/.614" lift, 112 lsa)....11.8.1 comp.. Torker intake, 750 dbl pumper....ohhhhh that sound, and unbelievably quick response!

good luck on ur build!!

Ps, I LOVE the fact ur putting a cleveland in a
mark VII!!! ....if only I could get a clev to pass emissions, I'd put 1 in my '96 mark VIII lol

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #6
Quote from: gthemelis87;312495
if only I could get a clev to pass emissions, I'd put 1 in my '96 mark VIII lol

Really? You like a cleveland better than the 4.6 dohc? I have never driven a cleveland-powered car, but I had a 96 mark viii, and it had balls to spare, heh. If a cleveland it better than that, I need to go find one!
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #7
Cool build.
I really wanted to put a 460 in my 89 M7 but the air bag system was the deal breaker.:(

Keep us posted.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #8
So Far I found that D&D Automotive Specialties has an engine swap kit.  Among their kits they have a 351C kit for a fox body bird.  Comes with oil pan, pickup tube, H.D. engine mounts, and custom shorty/mid length headers.  I have also completed the disassembly of the car.  I estimate about 800 lbs of stuff came off the car.  About 250 lbs of that is wiring.  Anyone needing any parts (interior, wiring, etc.) let me know.

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #9
What was the price for their kit?
...and there was light!

1996 T Bird 351C

Reply #10
I am new to the forum.
I have 1996 T bird that I put a 1973 302 in for racing oval. You can see it on you tube under  stock car build  from dwardmfg.
Currently I am putting a 1972 351C 2V in the 302's place. I have looked around the net to find someone that has done this to 1993 - 1997 bird.
If anyone knows of someone please let me know.

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #11
I think Hooker or Heddmen make 351C swap headers but they're $550. Im realy considering a 351C swap myself but Im not done have fun with my new 5.0. I might do a 351C swap in my 90 F-150.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #12
Mad Dog headers

http://maddogheaders.net/Catalog.html
1988 Thunderbird LX  557/C6 project. UPR tube K-member, A-Arms, Strange 10 way adjustable coilovers. SN-95 spindle,brakes. Manual rack, bump steer kit.  MM castor/camber plates, Dynatech 2 1/8 swap headers. Quick 9" 35 spline Moser axles,CHE lower c arms,

351C Swap

Reply #13
I got my whole kit from D&D Automotive. Headers, which they build themselves, oil pan, engine mounts, oil pump pickup tube, gaskets, etc. Entire kit was about $900 by the time the shippers took their cut.  http://www.ddautospec.com/ .  This kit was for a fox body swap so I doubt your 96 would be identical.  Give Doug a call, maybe he can help.  He was great when I worked with him.

I had some short fun with the Lincoln Mark VII with the 351C 4V installed last year.  Wow, did that mark go!  Now taking the swap out of the lincoln and installing into an 82 Mustang GT.  Also swapping the axles, disc brakes, and steering.  Not sure if I will swap the air bags.  I like them but it is a lot o work.

Good luck with your swap project.

Fox 351C Swap

Reply #14
This is what I had planned for my 92' Lincoln LSC before a drunk driver rearended it while it was stopped at a red light and totaled it 3 months ago. jsmh