Skip to main content
Topic: Running 6x9's in the rear? 88 thunderbird (Read 4655 times) previous topic - next topic

Running 6x9's in the rear? 88 thunderbird

Has anyone ran these before and can you do it while retaining the factory grilles??
88 Turbo Coupe 5 Speed..Full exhaust, K and N, Boost Controller

Reply #1
Mount them under the rear deck and use some type of spacer to prevent them from wobbling or rattling. I had some mounted for years with some weatherstrip foam around the edges to provide a seal, and a bungee cord per side to hold the speakers in place, using the factory mounting spots. The stock rubber things were way too small to use with the aftermarket speakers which were both taller and had much larger magnets. You could also just drill 8 holes and run some bolts through the rear deck. The bungee and foam thing was a 5-minute install.

They worked until I went to some infinite baffle subs and ran only 2 channels up front for better sound quality.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #2
I have them rigged under the deck with zip ties using the rubber mounts in the stock location. Sounds decent but rattling is driving me nuts. What I was wondering if the speaker is bigger than the hole 6x9 vs 6x8 i think, would the speaker physically hit the metal mount?

Reply #4
I mounted mine in one screw hole, then I lined the outside edge of the speaker with double sided sticky tape to help hold it in place and stop rattles. Its basicaly tape covered foam. Then I sheetmetal screwed two or three more holes. I only used 6X9's because they were cheaper then 5X7's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack;412072
I mounted mine in one screw hole, then I lined the outside edge of the speaker with double sided sticky tape to help hold it in place and stop rattles. Its basicaly tape covered foam. Then I sheetmetal screwed two or three more holes. I only used 6X9's because they were cheaper then 5X7's.

Are you screwing them in from the bottom or the top?  I was trying to figure out how to take off the grille? Does the entire carpeted rear deck come off?

Reply #6
If you remove the high brake lamp and interior panels on either side of the car, the carpet, and attached grills, can come out in one piece.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #7
I mounted my 6x9's from underneath, and just drilled new holes to match the bolt pattern of the 6x9's. Then just bolted them in place, with an 1/2in MDF spacer covered in dynamat between them and the sheetmetal. Dynamatted the entire rear deck as well, made a huge difference in sound quality. I also have 4inch speakers installed in my dash, with no hacking of anything whatsoever.

Reply #8
Quote from: Big B;412080
I also have 4inch speakers installed in my dash, with no hacking of anything whatsoever.

What speaker fit in?  Tell me more......
Mike

Reply #9
Quote from: mcb82gt;412247

This won't be for everyone. I'm an Audiophile and have to have killer sound in all my rides, so I went as big as I could possibly go in 4 inchers, so these don't just drop into the stock holes without any modification. No Hacking, but there is a bit of grinding and reshaping required. :) Can't remember the exact model number, but they are Alpine 2-way 4in Speakers, 75w RMS, and with the large magnets. The plastic dash structure under the speaker grilles did have to be slightly clearanced to fit these large magnet speakers in the holes themselves. You only have to take out around 1/4in out of each corner, not even to the stock bolt holes, and they will drop right in. Then, I used a scoshe adapter plate to bolt them down in the stock bolt holes. On the inside of the dash, on the DS, the side of the magnet hits the Dashes inner structure, so you have to grind away a little of the dashes inner plastic structure right to the left side of the speedo, not much though, only around a 1/4in of material needs to be removed. On the PS the magnet hits the top of the blower ducting inside the dash pretty badly, so you need remove the ducting and use a torch to heat up the area just enough that it become pliable, and then use a hammer to push a 1/2in deep dent into it right below the speaker. The duct won't leak air if you don't burn a hole through the plastic, and now the speaker will drop right in. If you accidentally burn a hole in the ducting, metal HVAC Tape can fix the hole permanently. If you do it right, they fit underneath the stock speaker grilles, and you can't tell any difference from stock apearance wise, sound quality is much better though.

Reply #10
So you're an audiophile, but you don't try to run two/stereo point sources? How does that work? :p

I won't be using dash speakers in my next build. They obviously help bring the sound stage up and forward, but they are pretty bad for sound quality. In the dash, you really only need/want tweeters anyway, so 3" or 4" won't matter.  The problem with these cars is that you can't really do kickpanel mounts to get the more ideal driver distances, unless you remove your e-brake and even then, we have far less room down in that area than a lot of cars. Our shallow windshield/dash depth also makes a-pillar mounted tweeters do a pretty lousy job and severe time alignment adjustments are needed to fix it. Then  you still have problems with speaker positioning and distances.

I don't think our cars can ever have exceptional audio systems and it sucks because I'd love to get closer to the sound quality of sitting between two powerful, detailed speakers in an acoustically controlled room. If we remove the front seats and sit in the back center, it can get pretty good...
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #11
ASSume much?, lol!

Reply #12
The definition of an audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction so one could say that sound quality is all in the ear of the listener.  I have heard what others swear up and down is mind altering system and don't think much of it as it images wrong for me.  I like the dash speakers and run off axis all the time but that is my personal taste.  I don't thumb my nose at a system unless its just a bunch of bass and harsh upper end.  I have built systems that get tickets and can be heard from a mile away and done the factory replacement stuff, it all depends on the person and their ear as to what they like and then it comes to their wallet.

They make adapter plates for all kinds of speakers and 5x7 to 6x9 and 6x8 to 6x9 are very common place.

http://www.soaap.com/electronics/824200-metra6x95x76x8speakeradapter-p-375.html

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #13
Quote from: mcb82gt;412247

I have some Altec Lansings that bolted right into the dash in my 87 LS.  Sounded great to me.  I have them in their box now in the basp00get waiting to go into another Cougar.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #14
Dumb question im trying to get to the rear deck and ive removed the side trim pieces but it seems like the back seats are keeping it in place..where are the bolts to remove the back seats lol??