Skip to main content
Topic: Motor bogging (Read 851 times) previous topic - next topic

Motor bogging

I didn't know which forum to put this under because I believe it has to do with my rear end gear.
But here goes, I installed a 5.0 HO and tranny out of a 90 Lincoln Mark VII into a 79 Ford F100. The truck has 4.11 rear end gears and when ever the tranny shifts into overdrive it bogs the motor down pretty good, but works real nice in any other gear. I thought that maybe it had something to do with the computer not being calibrated to run like that but needed some confirmation and this is probably the place to get it. If so I thought maybe there would be a way to recaliberate the computer with out spending a whole of money since it does not have mass air, because I know with mass air it can be done a lot easier.
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew

Motor bogging

Reply #1
The AOD transmission is not dependent upon your ECM to operate.  That being said the overdrive bands on these trannys are a known soft spot.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Motor bogging

Reply #2
At what MPH is it going into O/D??  How tall are the tires?? A 30" tire is gonna make 4:11s more like a 3.25. Maybe you should just go up to 4.56s or so. As already stated there is no reprogramming, the AODs are fully automatic.

Motor bogging

Reply #3
Sounds to me like its shifting into OD to early,  I dont want to scare you but when mine did it i eventually lost OD and 3rd,  I think someone already asked what RPM does it shift into OD,  If its to low It will bo terribly until you get it back onto the powerband.

Motor bogging

Reply #4
Isn't that transmission kind of inadequate for a pickup?

Motor bogging

Reply #5
IMO the AOD is inadequate for any car :) but anyhow if its a 2 whell drive with the TV cables adjusted properly it will be ok.  I think he got a problem with the TV cable and its causing it to shift to early, eventually going to burn it up,  Real easy to do. I destroyed 2 now.

Motor bogging

Reply #6
It is just in a 2 wheel drive non abused truck, I do have the TV cable properly adjusted and I will have to do more investigating on the rpm's at shift and I am not sure on mph becuse I do not have the speedo working yet. Will update when I no more.
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew