Skip to main content
Topic: AOD Problem (Read 2404 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD Problem

Installed my Aod and motor out of a Lincoln Mark 7 in my 79 F-100 and now the tranny wont shift out of 1st gear.  Got all the linkage correct, even the kickdown cable. If anyone knows waht might be the problem any help would be greatly appreciatied.  The tranny worked great in the Lincoln, no problems at all. Thanks Nate.
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew

AOD Problem

Reply #1
The TV cable needs to be adjusted, sounds like its set waaaay too low.  DO NOT DRIVE IT LIKE THIS!

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article138.html
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

AOD Problem

Reply #2
I got it all adjusted, no slack in it at all.
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

AOD Problem

Reply #3
Quote from: Go Roush
I got it all adjusted, no slack in it at all.

That may be your problem... Basically its supposed to be at full travel at WOT and only slight travel at closed throttle.

AOD Problem

Reply #4
check to see if it is connected on the valve body, It sounds for sure like the TV cable.

AOD Problem

Reply #5
What would be the proper way to know that the adjustment would be correct.
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

AOD Problem

Reply #6
What would be the proper way to know that the adjustment would be correct.
That it shifts out of 1st?  :D

Here, have a read...
http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

AOD Problem

Reply #7
I printed off the link and I will give it a try and get back to you.
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

AOD Problem

Reply #8
Got everything properly adjusted, changed filter, and checked out the governor in the tailshaft and didnt change a thing.
Got fed up and pulled the tranny out, will take it to some one to look it over and fix.
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

AOD Problem

Reply #9
Check to make sure the lever on the side of the tranny that the TV cable attaches to is moving freely. They're pr0ne to sticking, especially if the donor car has been sitting awhile, and when they stick they tend to do so in the WOT position, preventing the 1-2 upshift (it doesn't actually prevent it, it just delays it until redline).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

AOD Problem

Reply #10
No it is not stuck moves very freely
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

AOD Problem

Reply #11
I think you already mentioned that you had pulled the tranny, but the way to check if you actually have the cable adjust correctly, is to hook up a pressure line to the TV port on the pass. side of the tranny. Depending on whether or not you have a shift kit in it, it should be reading around 2-3 psi at idle. If all else is well, I am thinking that there is either a linkage problem at the throttle body end, that, or the TV lever inside of the tranny, right at the valve body, is tweaked, probably during tranny removal from the Lincoln. I would pop the tranny pan off, and see if the lever is pushing the TV valve in properly, or if it is even touching anything.
Second question:
Did you actually swap over the EFI out of the lincoln also? Or did you use a carb? If you used a carb, how exactly did you hook the TV linkage up? A Lokar kit? Or did you use the Ford C-4/C-5/C-6/FMX kickdown linkage that is on most holleys and Ford carbs? Unless you use the Lokar kit, those kickdown setups do not work, as the TV requires full range of motion, following the same arc at the throttle valve....

AOD Problem

Reply #12
Quote from: ButtSlappingPirate
I think you already mentioned that you had pulled the tranny, but the way to check if you actually have the cable adjust correctly, is to hook up a pressure line to the TV port on the pass. side of the tranny. ..

Anyway you can post a pic of the port your reering to, Im doing a rebuild on mine now and would like to check that.  Not to familiar with tanny's hopefully i can learn something.

AOD Problem

Reply #13
Are you personally doing the rebuild on your AOD?

AOD Problem

Reply #14
rebuilding the motor but when i get it all back together would be something i would like to check the AOD is fine just triing to familiarize my self with it a bit