Skip to main content
Topic: Opinions on my combination (Read 6134 times) previous topic - next topic

Opinions on my combination

I've come down to the following list of mods for the underside of my sport:

95 Front spindles w/cobra brakes
95 rear axle with 3.73 gears & disc brakes
2400 stall converter for my AOD
17" wheels with 245/45/17 tires

For under the hood I'll do a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0. I'll change out the cam, valve springs, timing chain & oil pump. A mass air conversion from Windsor Fox will be performed. Headers & exhaust will follow. Any advise on what cam to use ? Any other suggestions ? What brake lines should I use front & rear ? What computer do I use for the AOD ? I have an A9L but read it wouldn't work with an AOD.

Thanks
Leon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1962 Thunderbird convertible
1971 Mustang Mach1 429SCJ

Reply #1
A9L is fine.. I actually prefer it over the automatic EEC cause I've notice the auto EECs tend to have a delay on the return rpms when revving, at least the A9P I had did.  As far as the conversion goes don't worry about buying a kit just pick up a mass air harness online for ~$45 and it comes with good instructions ( search the forums here, tons of info on the mod).  Pick out your meter.. Your going to have to research that just go with the brand you want in a 75mm would work fine, I would stay away from c&l, and go with 24# injectors since your buying everything anyway.  Your going to have to upgrade the fuel pump too.. 190lph at least.  There is a company that sells fuel pumps with the proper pickup sock for our cars, again search the forum it's been posted.  I guess your reusing the explorer/mount intake just make sure it has the EGR hole in the middle, I've seen some that don't ( again search the forum) I think there's even a way to use the explorer 65mm throttle body but it would need to be modded, I've seen posts on the corral about it.  Lot of guys have good success with the tfs1 cam.. I had one in a 306 build I use to run and liked its idle and power band..

Well hope this post gets your started, I'm sure others will chime in, and I'm sure I left some things out :)

Start a project thread so we can follow your progress and help you out along the way,good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
From what I have read, a9l's installed into aod cars can burn up the computer. This is because the o2 sensor harness is different in auto vs. manual cars, and the computers vary accordingly.

So, to be safe, you can use an a9l in an auto car, but buy a manual o2 harness and swap that as well.

Thats probably the route Im going. I have an a9l in a box that Ill install eventually. Im finishing up a similar build(actually a long block from a member here). I was thinking of going a9p for the better timing table, but I have read about the hanging idle several times. And a9p's go for a premium over a9l's.

o2 harness's are on ebay for about $45 I think.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #3
A9P's have a better timing and fuel curve.  If you use the A9L you MUST use a manual transmission O2 sensor harness.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #4
I never read that before, can you guys post a link where you found that info.  I've always ran the stock Tbird/cougar o2 harness on several different mass air computers... A9L,A9P,A3M,and C3W
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
It was discussed on corral in a real long thread, with pics showing auto vs manual o2 connectors, and how they were pinned differently.

here it is:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1094179&highlight=o2+harness

From memory, you can use a a9p in either, but an a9l needs a manual harness. Also, some 5spd harnesses are different year to year.

Curious if our harness is different, may have to crawl under and take a look...

***edit***  read post 150 on that thread, seems to clear it up.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #6
Thats really good intell. It would suck to burn out my ECU.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #8
Depending on what cam you're running you may want more stall. I have a 2800 non lock up stall converter from Precision Industries. I thought it was too much but the guy who built the trans said it was right for my combo (what do I know as I don't build transmissions for a living ;)). The car flies off the line and can burn the tires off if I let it. I have a small Comp Magnum 35-308-8 cam and not the E303/Stage 1 cam everyone runs.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
You can just repin the O2 harness.  You will need to get a 1993 Mustang Cobra brake booster and master cylinder for that combination of brakes.  I would run stainless steel braided lines and you can get the kit from Maximum Motorsports here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=49_144_469

You will also need the 3 to 2 port conversion kit which is here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_140&products_id=673

You should also gut the stock proportioning valve in the combination block below the master cylinder.  You can see how to do this here:

After you do this you will need a manual proportioning valve like this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-260-8419/

And the cap for the end of the proportioning valve:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-2450-A/

Here is a link to a really comprehensive site on what you are wanting to do with the brakes.  Lots of good info on what to use and how to install it.  Just use the "Next Page" to get to page 11 and it goes over the MC and PV installations.

http://home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/page1.html

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #10
OK, so I can convert my stock SO to mass air with a $40 harness, O2 harness repin and my A9L ? If so that'll be my first step. I'm curious if thats all it takes why would/did anyone spend hundreds of $$$ on a Windsor-Fox harness? My friend paid $400 plus sent in two complete harnesses.

Also, the Explorer engine is a roller engine correct ? I'm thinking since I have to remove the  intake, oil pan & timing cover to do the cam swap maybe I'll pull the heads and replace all the gaskets so I won't have any leaks later on. I guess I should take a look at the bearings too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #11
Quote from: Bob;345055
A9L is fine.. I actually prefer it over the automatic EEC cause I've notice the auto EECs tend to have a delay on the return rpms when revving, at least the A9P I had did.  As far as the conversion goes don't worry about buying a kit just pick up a mass air harness online for ~$45 and it comes with good instructions ( search the forums here, tons of info on the mod).  Pick out your meter.. Your going to have to research that just go with the brand you want in a 75mm would work fine, I would stay away from c&l, and go with 24# injectors since your buying everything anyway.  Your going to have to upgrade the fuel pump too.. 190lph at least.  There is a company that sells fuel pumps with the proper pickup sock for our cars, again search the forum it's been posted.  I guess your reusing the explorer/mount intake just make sure it has the EGR hole in the middle, I've seen some that don't ( again search the forum) I think there's even a way to use the explorer 65mm throttle body but it would need to be modded, I've seen posts on the corral about it.  Lot of guys have good success with the tfs1 cam.. I had one in a 306 build I use to run and liked its idle and power band..

Well hope this post gets your started, I'm sure others will chime in, and I'm sure I left some things out :)

Start a project thread so we can follow your progress and help you out along the way,good luck!

Where would this EGR hole be ? Anyone have a pic ? I'll probably pick up the engine in a couple weeks. Gotta replace my washer & dryer. I'm sure I'm gonna drop at least $1500.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #12
Quote from: Mr-Mach1;345587
Where would this EGR hole be ? Anyone have a pic ? I'll probably pick up the engine in a couple weeks. Gotta replace my washer & dryer. I'm sure I'm gonna drop at least $1500.

Read this thread I googled it for you ;)

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/170993-official-explorer-gt40-cobra-intake-thread.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
FYI, Im pretty sure you are going to want to wait to do the computer until you do the full ho/engine swap. Dont swap computers and mass air and try to drive with the SO engine. Different firing orders.
87 Thunderbird LX