Skip to main content
Topic: 5 lug, and lowered or not.. (Read 3576 times) previous topic - next topic

5 lug, and lowered or not..

Reply #15
1BDBIRD,

The only issue I had with the Mark VII brakes up front is that you have a very limited selection of wheels to choose from with that hub design.  The SN95 design has a much larger wheel selection but I think we have talked about this in another thread.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #16
Yes wheel selection is limited!!! I sold my bullits and going with cobra r's or y2k's, they have enough hub room. But maybe i'll try 96-98 stuff,i turned a set down for $125 for spindles,rotors,ect.. good price or NO!!!!
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

Reply #17
If you are referring to the five lug Cobra R wheels then they will not fit with the Mark VII front hubs as I tried to fit a set up on my Coupe when it had the Mark VII hubs.  I am also pretty sure the Y2K's will not fit either as they are for the same hub design.  I ran the 94-97 Cobra wheels with the Mark VII hubs.  Wheels like on the 97 GT will physically bolt up to the Mark VII hubs but the center cover will not fit due to the wider design of the spindle.  Some have claimed they have removed the dust cap and they have fit but I only saw that happen on a car that was also using spacers.

I have purchased several sets of take offs for the SN95 cars for $100 to $150 and the ones at $150 came with the struts even though I did not want them but that is how they sold them.  So it was strut, spindle, rotor, caliper, caliper soft line, and the castle nut per side.

Darren

Reply #18
If anyone here has done the 96-98 sn95 brake setup i would like to see pics of it. i mess around with the fox mustangs and had a 96-98 set up on my gt and it made my wheels stick out like a inch on both sides... if the 96-98 set up will work on my 88 tc thats cool cause i have a complete setup in my shop! but just interested to see how that setup works on the tc... any insite on this would be great!

Reply #19
It WILL work, but it also WILL make your front track width increase, as you've already found out on your GT.

94-94 spindles: work great, minimal width increase.

96+ spindles: will work, occasional bumpsteer issue, noticeable track width increase..

Survey says: 94-95 spindles FTM-FW
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #20
There's a '94 GT in the boneyard I usually go to. 5.0/5 speed car. I saw it a month ago then kept going. I'm staying with 4 lug for quite some time.I have a few more engine things I want to do,then maybe someday I'll go 5 lug,but for now,the 4 lug is doing all I need it to do,and the Sport stops well. But one day,I would do the swap.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #21
The increase in track width is 8mm (0.3125" or 5/16") per side using the 96+ spindles.  This has been very well dospoogeented on several of the Mustang sites.  I have the 96+ spindles on my 83 T-Bird and my 93 Coupe and it was a minimal increase to say the least.  Granted I have tubular K-members on both cars but I don't think either on of them changed the track width of the car.  Here is a shot of the car from the side and you can see that the wheels are about even with the fenders.

Darren

Reply #22
Quote from: Aerocoupe;347239
The increase in track width is 8mm (0.3125" or 5/16") per side using the 96+ spindles.  This has been very well dospoogeented on several of the Mustang sites.  I have the 96+ spindles on my 83 T-Bird and my 93 Coupe and it was a minimal increase to say the least.  Granted I have tubular K-members on both cars but I don't think either on of them changed the track width of the car.  Here is a shot of the car from the side and you can see that the wheels are about even with the fenders.

Darren

That's not bad at all. What width are your front wheels?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #23
I believe they are a stock offset (30mm) 17 X 8 Bullitt replica wheel with 245/40/17's.  I can check on the offset when I get home to be 100% sure.

Darren

Reply #24
Just as a follow-up to this, I have a set of '94 spindles, hubs, calipers, and rotors sitting on the floor of my shop in front of the Bird. Thanks Vinnie.

A little cleaning and painting, some balljoints and tie rod ends, and a few hours, it'll be all back together.

Does anyone know off-hand of the brake hoses (TC replacement) will fit the '94-'95 calipers, or will I need an adapter fitting?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #25
I'm finally finishing up this swap on my car.  Check Maximum Motorsports.  They have the brakelines, proportioning valve eliminator kit, adjustable proportioning valve...all the stuff you need to do it right without trying to figure it out on your own.  As I've learned the hard way, these cars are all different.  Many things I was supposed to encounter, I didn't... and several things that were supposed to work correctly, didn't.

Reply #26
If you use the front soft lines for a 94-04 Mustang and it can be a V6, GT, or Cobra.  You will need an adapter on the passenger side which is a Weatherhead 7828 fitting that most parts stores carry.  If you want to go the SS braided lines then get the ones from Maximum and you do not need the adapter on the passenger side.

Darren

Reply #28
Quote from: 88turbo;354418
are you putting your 5 lug stuff into the top secret car?

If I can get my ducks in a row soon, I just might. Would be really neat to do them both in 5 lug, but I can only work over one of them for now...I still need to find some wiring for the secret car, but everything else, I can borrow from the Sport if need be...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6