Skip to main content
Topic: rear swaybar (Read 1985 times) previous topic - next topic

rear swaybar

Hi i wanted to know if i can put a rear swaybar on my 86 bird with stock control arms,
if so  wich bar is better to go with  will mustang bars work
how do we install them and the whole 9 yards

thanx everyone

rear swaybar

Reply #1
Earlier Fox Bars are smaller in diameter and possibly solid metal.
Later SN95 Bars are thicker and seem to be hollow.
Both are the same shape and mounts.
*Source: Have an '88 and '95 Mustang Rear Sway bar in the garage.

As for installing onto a non-factory equipped rear end, I would imagine it would fit fine.
May possibly need holes drilled.

I'll go take a look at the stock arms on my '84 and reply back.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

rear swaybar

Reply #2
i saw holes on the stock arms  i assumed it was for swaybar install 
didnt xr7 and turbocoupes share the same lower control arms with the base and élan cars
(i have an élan)

rear swaybar

Reply #3
Looks to be that way~
Just checked, And mine has the mounting holes as well (V6 Car).
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

rear swaybar

Reply #4
cool thanks

rear swaybar

Reply #5
i grabbed one from an 84 v8 cougar for my mustang a few years ago at the junkyard. its been on my 91 mustang, my 84 vert. and my 86 tbird and fit with no issues and didnt have to lift the car to put it on or take it off. the holes were there on all of them and everything bolted up like it should.
 if memory serves me right it had a green stripe/tag on it, it was solid also. i dont recall ever seeing one that didnt have the holes on the control arm to mount it from the factory. probly shouldve grabbed the front bar but didnt think it would fit on the mustang.
if you do find one dont forget the metal clips.
its currently still is attached to my 86 tbird that i gave to my sister so im going to have to find another now.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

rear swaybar

Reply #6
All the T-bird/Cougars had the holes for the sway bar. You just need the sway bar and the bolts and clips to put it on:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

rear swaybar

Reply #7
I used a front and rear bar from an 88lx (mustang) on my 84 cougar to replace the stock V8 ones and the difference was noticeable in that there was less body roll in the corners. The rear bolted right in but the front needed the bushings from the 88lx as the bar is thicker.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

rear swaybar

Reply #8
and what about the end links? you kept the bird ones or you went with 88 lx mustang as well 

arent the ones for a bird longer than the ones from a stang?

rear swaybar

Reply #9
Quote from: 1986Élan;296811
and what about the end links? you kept the bird ones or you went with 88 lx mustang as well 

arent the ones for a bird longer than the ones from a stang?

I used the metal part from the cougar that houses the bushings and upgraded the bushings with a part from ENERGY suspensions but retained the stock cougar end links as they were new. I did notice the distance from ctr to ctr on the bar ends to be approx 1" narrower than the stock cougar bar but it works fine and checked good during alignment.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

rear swaybar

Reply #10
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;296819
I used the metal part from the cougar that houses the bushings and upgraded the bushings with a part from ENERGY suspensions but retained the stock cougar end links as they were new. I did notice the distance from ctr to ctr on the bar ends to be approx 1" narrower than the stock cougar bar but it works fine and checked good during alignment.

sorry im not sure i got that Quick shift  did you mean the bar is 1 inch narrower?

rear swaybar

Reply #11
Quote from: 1986Élan;296822
sorry im not sure i got that Quick shift  did you mean the bar is 1 inch narrower?

YES. As an example using hypothetical #s, the cougar bar is 52" ctr to ctr while the mustang bar is only 51"

rear swaybar

Reply #12
i was pretty sure using the eibach kit (front and rear swaybar)for the 79- 93 mustang would work    now comes how much milimeter to get as different mustangs models had different bars  like the cobra for example

could it be as simple as saying  adding a thicker front sway bar and adding any mustang rear swaybar will be just fine  or theres more to consider

rear swaybar

Reply #13
Quote from: 1986Élan;296826
i was pretty sure using the eibach kit (front and rear swaybar)for the 79- 93 mustang would work    now comes how much milimeter to get as different mustangs models had different bars  like the cobra for example

could it be as simple as saying  adding a thicker front sway bar and adding any mustang rear swaybar will be just fine  or theres more to consider
I bought an 88lx for the motor and ended up using the sway bars, front spindles,rotors, short block(swapped to a carb), pedal assembly and T-5, rear end (8.8) etc,etc. Now to really stir things up contrary to popular methods, I used front and rear springs from an 86 GT hatch which lowered the front 1 1/8" and the rear 1 1/4" to give me a nice stance with excellent handling when combined with the sway bars.:D  BUT remember, no 2 cars are alike. I tried to post some pics but the files are too big...sorry.