Skip to main content
Topic: hotwiring a TC, ign. switch is broken (Read 1480 times) previous topic - next topic

hotwiring a TC, ign. switch is broken

(this probably needs to be in electrical tech, move it if it needs to be, sorry)
I'd like to see if I can get the 2.3 started for a few minutes, but the  switch is all torn up.
I know I can jump the solenoid, but that won't let the engine run.
If there's a way to cross some of the wires inside to bypass the switch, I'd be in business.
(The engine has good, clean oil and antifreeze, and turns over by hand)
I'd kinda like to see if the thing will run, as most of my plans are based on whether it will or not...
I know I need to get an EVTM, too...
If I had one, this post probably wouldn't even be necessary! ;)

Edit, after I posted this, and read it a coupla times, it makes me look I wanna steal a a car!:flame:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #1
its bretty easy to get the tumbler out if you have the key and can still turn it. then use your other key and cyl....? i hotwired one once but it was so long ago i cant remember what i did. orange and yellow wires maybe....i dunno...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
If the switch itself is still there, simply unbolt it from the column and move the slider with a screwdriver. This will be just like starting it with the key, except you still won't be able to steer it :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
If the switch itself is still there, simply unbolt it from the column and move the slider with a screwdriver. This will be just like starting it with the key, except you still won't be able to steer it :hick:

Well, here's the thing, the steering isn't locked up...
just that able switch is...buggered up.
Anywho, it'll give me something to do tomorra..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
This should do it for you
On the ingition key:
12volt power feed = Yellow
Starter = R/LB
Run      = R/LG two places, you only need to do one of them.
BobNorway;)
There are only two tools you will ever need:
1) WD40
2) Duct Tape
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Reply #5
Quote from: BobNorway
This should do it for you
On the ingition key:
12volt power feed = Yellow
Starter = R/LB
Run      = R/LG two places, you only need to do one of them.

Taht's exactly the info I need..thanks! :D
Did some more looking, since I pulled the dash out of it, and the whole ign. switch assembly is f*&#ed  up!
A big piece is broke off and hanging by a couple of wires, so there's no fixing it for me.
I just want to try to start the engine, to verify that it will run...
Anyway, it's sleeting/freezing rain, so I ain't messin with it right now, maybe later if the  quits falling.
(Likes I wrote earlier, 80*F tuesday and wednesday, freezing rain today, heh)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
Well, got the engine to crank over but for some it just wouldn't start...
At first I thought it wasn't getting any fire, so I pulled a plug wire, and it's got spark..
Then I decided to see if it was getting fuel.
Well, considering I "saved" from the crusher, the JY had pulled the  gastank, so I don't know if it runs or not, but I'd imagine it does...
It cranked over nicely, no abnormal noises, oil is good and clean, and up to the full mark...

So now I've got a turbo 4/T5 that I can't use, and would be willing to part with...just so y'all know, I'm looking for a 5.0 HO ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6