Skip to main content
Topic: Relay modification for ign sw discussion (Read 9952 times) previous topic - next topic

Relay modification for ign sw discussion

Ok,
looking at my ign switch both wiring and connector and switch itself, it appears i have nearly no signs of heat problems.  There is an ever so slight discoloration on the Gray/yellow contact on the swtich.

It appears that the Run position also back feeds ACCY, (visa versa) and with that said,,,,,,,,
i should install one relay with yellow in and on the relay output, bond the
Gr/y - large wire
Rd/Lg-large wire
Bk/Lg-large wire

am i seeing this correct?

I shouldnt need anything for the start circuit because,, well, it already has a relay.

thoughts?

87evtm in signature below, page 24 and page 240

I do see an error or difference, I do not have a Rd/Lb and Y/Rd on one pin.  i have a Rd/Lb and Br/W instead.... the conflict is the BrW ckt 376..which is called Y/Rd in the EVTM.

Reply #1
by the way,, splice 130 is not where the evtm says it is.
FoMoCo sent one hot yellow conductor up to the steering column then split it two ways to bond two connections on the ign switch.
Someone tried to pass an inspection i think becaue the original eng prob said the input to the ign switch needed two equal size inputs.

you will find this splice within 12'' linear inches of your ignition switch.......

kinda shady if you ask me.

Reply #2
What is your problem?

Reply #3
and another thought before i screw up my own thread topic here.......
if you ever need a "run" power source, just plug your new wire into the spare on your ign switch right next to the Gr/Y wire.
If you ever need a "accy" power source, just plug your new wire into the spare on your ign switch right next to the Bk/Lg

just sayin

Reply #4
Quote from: STANG8U;404982
What is your problem?

There is no problem ,, everything works fine.
Im litterally fixing something before it breaks.

Reply #5
I see

Good stuff

Reply #6
take a looksee at the other relay mod thread for headlamps................
this go around im doing "post 36" invented by "thefoeyouknow", i did a mock up test of it last night and its dead nuts on and perfect in all ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You the man FOE!

Reply #7
Sweet

Reply #8
anyone see an issue with what i said in post 1?

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;404978
It appears that the Run position also back feeds ACCY, (visa versa) and with that said,,,,,,,,
i should install one relay with yellow in and on the relay output, bond the
Gr/y - large wire
Rd/Lg-large wire
Bk/Lg-large wire

am i seeing this correct?

I shouldnt need anything for the start circuit because,, well, it already has a relay.

thoughts?
All of the "RUN" circuits are not common. They are three different circuits.
GY/Y is "hot run".
R/LG is "hot in start or run"
BK/LG is "hot in accy or run"

I do see an error or difference, I do not have a Rd/Lb and Y/Rd on one pin.  i have a Rd/Lb and Br/W instead.... the conflict is the BrW ckt 376..which is called Y/Rd in the EVTM.
The Y/R wire is for 3.8L. It goes through a diode to pin 30 of the 3.8 EEC. (not well labeled)

Reply #10
thats what i wanted to talk about,,,
when taking apart the switch it appears they are run common the way the internal brass is laid out as you move the switch contact along.

,  i missed that red/lg being on a start contactor as well.  its a large conductor as well.

Reply #11
Last night i was mapping out the wiring , and concluded that one option would be to pick the largest loaded conductor and move this to a relay.  what i see is the GY/Y being one circuit that could be highly loaded.

if you move down to the shown fuse 17, it takes you to page 35 which powers a boat load of circuits

do you think picking this Gy/y circuit to a relay would help?
this is the connection point i see a slight discoloration.

Reply #12
Makes sense to me.  The "Hot-in-Run" powers almost everything in the car and is "on" whenever the car is being driven, far longer than the other two circuits ("accy" and "hot-in-start").

Reply #13
will do volt and amp readngs today on all conductors "large only" to see and provide further information wtih all items powered on that i can.
another interesting fact is this,
on my son's bird, the two yellow inputs were over heated and the insulation had changed from yellow to dirty tanish color at 2 or so inches where they bond to the ignition switch.

the yellow(s) appear to be thhn wire around 8awg just by feel and if engineered to the free air rating, the wire size is ok but its not free air, the wire travels through wire mold and duct so to speak.  Its saving grace is that its probably 90degC rated or better insulation.

i am wondering if i shouldnt pull in another separate yellow from source to the ign sw?

thoughts?

Reply #14
another consideration thats making me think i should only catch the Gy/y wire is the fact that the switch itself is a combination of "make before break" and "break before make" contacts.

grabbing all the high current conductors and putting them on relays would make it very complicated.