Skip to main content
Topic: Chrome Wheels - Removing Chrome (Read 815 times) previous topic - next topic

Chrome Wheels - Removing Chrome

The Cobras are quickly circling the drain. I ran them all winter, as did the previous owner. The PA road salt just eats things alive here. The chrome was flaking off from the inside area of the wheel, but now it has spread to the visible areas - around the lug holes, valve stem, bead.
I can get one more summer out of them, but they will simply look trashy after that.

With that said, can I media/sand blast these wheels to remove the chrome and have them powdercoated?

The chrome on the outside surface is way thicker than the chrome that's flaking off on the inside. I looked closely where it's lifting around the valve stem and it seems to be an easy .015-.025 thick. I could physically remove it with pliers, for example.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chrome Wheels - Removing Chrome

Reply #1
If theres a chrome place near by they can dip the wheel in reverse to remove the chroming, or you could get it sandblasted. Call around, the guys that do that stuff will know the best way to do it.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Chrome wheels

Reply #2
DO NOT SANDBLAST! MEDIA BLAST ONLY! if there is gray granular
material showing, it is aluminum deteriorating and there will be craters when stripped. you may have to fill with plastic before painting. it is best to get them off the car as soon as possible to
prevent more damage. use a good epoxy primer, then a base coat/
clear coat. that is the pitfall of chrome on the east coast with road
salts. if you like shiny then buy polished with clear powdercoated over. we are more fortunate on the west coast because they don't
use that  on the roads. tire baron:burnout: