Skip to main content
Topic: My GTbird build (Read 44812 times) previous topic - next topic

My GTbird build

Reply #120
So ever since the car got started for the first time it was running extremely rich with black smoke and eye watering fumes. It would hunt for idle and surge but I have not been able to get my brand new electric fan controller to turn the dam fan on nor did I have the other gauges wired so I wasnt able to let the car run for very long from a fear of not being able to see what the engine was doing.

A couple days ago I started checking the basics and found the Mustang TPS when bolted down to the Explorer throttlebody netted a idle reading of 1.70 volts. I modded the TPS so I could adjust it down to .95 volts and then the car went dead lean. I decided to finish my gauge wiring so I could see what was going on and found it was idling at 17-1 or so lean it was off the gauge. It lean backfires through the tailpipe and when I try to rev it sounds like its being choked off or something and will not rev.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9639i-CA4

So I decided to drop back and punt......This ecm I got has changed hands at least 3 times before I acquired it so who knows of its condition.  I decided to just go back to what Im most familiar with and ordered a plug and play Megasquirt from EFI Source. I should have that tomorrow and will get it installed asap.

I also took the time to pull my dash apart again and installed the angled bezels on all the gauges. I had to do some searching to find somebody who made them in 3-3/8" for my speedo and tach but found a place on the east coast that sells performance boat parts and they make a powder coated aluminum bezel that worked great.

Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

My GTbird build

Reply #121
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #122
Well I now have about 40miles on the car and doing some street tuning. Car is everything I thought it would be! Even with a short amount of tuning done so far it runs great!! It will smoke the tires in first and second with ease and drives like stock when your easy with it. The ride is perfect too with a perfect mix of sporty and comfy. Brakes feel good and the exhaust is just how I wanted it. Me and the lady went for a drive today and even she couldnt believe how quiet it is inside.

Love how the interior turned out. Only thing left to do is recover the headliner and wire up the amps in trunk and install new speakers.

Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #123
Awesome. Motor & underhood look great.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

My GTbird build

Reply #124
Looking good!
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My GTbird build

Reply #126
Nice mph man.  I am hoping to pull around 105 to 110 mph when. I am at the track.  My goal is a 12.7 ish  for this season but I am running out of time.

My GTbird build

Reply #127
Well I now have about 1000 miles on it and a couple trips to the drag strip and Im absolutely in love with this car! Its such a blast to drive and Im getting all kinds of random people making nice comments about it at the gas station,store,etc...

Went to the track this weekend and the tune is as dialed in as it can be. Runs great, super strong, great mileage and so far its pulled a bunch of 13.30s at 102 mph which i think is great for a basically stock 302.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLsjxkHvCzQ&feature=em-upload_owner

So today starts the next step. Getting it ready for paint! Im doing as much prep as I can for my painter but its going to be a more budget minded job than a killer show quality job since I plan to drive the wheels off it.

Im filling the fender markers.

Going to powder coat these gloss black.

And I sand blasted a few rust spots on the door seams then hit them with some Eastwoods Rust encapsolator and then seal it off with some fresh seam sealer.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #128
Got the door seams all sealed up and painted. Good enough for me!

I cut metal patches for the markers and the antenna then put them on with body adhesive. This is as far as my paint guy wanted me to go so he will finish the rest of the body work and it should be ready for color by Friday

Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #129
Interesting. How well does the body adhesive hold up?
It's Gumby's fault.

My GTbird build

Reply #130
In 24hrs it will be as strong as a weld joint. Plus side is there is no warping of the panel your working on from welding and grinding. These front fenders are thin as hell and we didnt want to get into creating more work for our selves
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #131
deathbypsi

In 24hrs it will be as strong as a weld joint. Plus side is there is no warping of the panel your working on from welding and grinding. These front fenders are thin as hell and we didnt want to get into creating more work for our selves

I agree. Metal to metal adhesive is a great product when used properly. One very minor draw back when using it for patch panels is that sometimes you can see a small "outline" in the paint where the panels overlap. I think it is caused because of the difference in expansion and contraction of the adhesive and the metal.

My GTbird build

Reply #132
Update. I want to see how the body work is coming.
It's Gumby's fault.

My GTbird build

Reply #133

Hows that?
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #134
MOAR!

I'm actually surprised how well it worked out using the body adhesive. It just sounded like a bad idea to me, but obviously, it works wonders.
It's Gumby's fault.