Skip to main content
Topic: TC rear swap (Read 1582 times) previous topic - next topic

TC rear swap

I plan to swap a TC rear into my 87 Lx Bird over the winter. Should I keep the quad shock set up or no? I will be running 17x9 wheels on the back. Also the rear I have has a 3.55 ratio and my car has the AOD trans(for now). How will this combination work performance wise.? Thanks for input .
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

TC rear swap

Reply #1
when I had my AOD, the car did great with 3.55's. I kept my quad shocks as well. I had to finally remove them because the tires I have on the back are too wide and won't allow the quads anymore. I use tubular control arms now, so, the quads aren't necessary.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

TC rear swap

Reply #2
Thanks Vinnie, Down the road I plan a T5 swap. But for now the AOD will have to make do( may install a shift improver kit).. I will be doing the H.O. conversion over the winter as well. Slowly collected the parts as money allowed and I FINALLY have parts together.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

TC rear swap

Reply #3
I swapped one in my car.  Kept the quad shock setup.  Mine has 3.73 gears, wish I had 3.55 or 3.27.  I used ebrake cables for a mark vi lincoln.  Year was around '90 if I recall correctly.  Just make sure the cable hookup end match the turbocoupe caliper hookup.

I plan on using this for my aod 
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html
Mike

TC rear swap

Reply #4
Quote from: mcb82gt;438697
I swapped one in my car.  Kept the quad shock setup.  Mine has 3.73 gears, wish I had 3.55 or 3.27.  I used ebrake cables for a mark vi lincoln.  Year was around '90 if I recall correctly.  Just make sure the cable hookup end match the turbocoupe caliper hookup.

I plan on using this for my aod 
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html

3.73s are great. I run them. Even with a non-lockup converter 70mph is only 2700rpm. I've been considering going with 4.10s when I swap in an 88 XR7 rear in the spring. Then again I've got enough power to use 3.73+ gears.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

TC rear swap

Reply #5
I also did the TC rearend swap from an Auto 3.73 car. While we performed that swap we installed the CHE tubular control arms, upper and lowers, Mustang GT front discs and 73mm Mark VII front calipers with a SVO master cylinder and TC proportioning valve. We also kept the quad shocks and if you run into tire fitment issues you can flip the quad shock for a bit more room.
Only in America do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "POLI" in latin meaning "many", "TICS" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".