Skip to main content
Topic: Went to the track last night... (Read 16572 times) previous topic - next topic

Went to the track last night...

Just to watch ;)

But man, I had an eye-opener. I have a thing for Buick Grand Nationals, and I was  over this gorgeous GN in the lineup. He pulls up to the tree, I hear the turbo screaming up, He lets it rip! Beautiful run, 9.4, then it happened. Well something happened. He started fish-tailing, almost hit the other car, then went sideways and plowed straight into the barrier. Oh, it made me sick to watch. The whole nose was smashed, the hood flew up, it took probably an hour to clean up the mess. The driver got hauled away in an ambulance too.

Be careful out there guys. One mistake and you can lose a bunch of money, or worse get hurt.

There was one fox thunderbird that ran in the DOT class, I think it got a 13.5 or so. I shot a video of it, but my camera is so py it's embarrassing, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #1
I've been loose at second to third gear shift. It happened so fast I didn't have time to get scared.  I hot lapped  it was slow that night. Back at the start guy asked what happened he said that's how you put it in the wall. Then I was scared.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #2
We had a local car show that a bunch of buick guys would crash. it wasn't un common to see 5-6 grand nationals and a few turbo regals. they always showed up and left in a tigh group, putting on a good show, until one day a semi ran a redlight and took out 4 of them. i never saw another one show up.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
That was the same type of thing here. There were about 10 Grand Nationals that night. Probably 6 of them (including the one who crashed) were all together. They had all of their trailers parked together anyway, heh. They didn't have matching embroidered jackets or anything, lol, I just assumed they were together. I just felt sorry for the guy. That was an expensive mistake.

Reply #4
I was surprised at the amount of 7-second passes last night too. There were some serious machines running around. It was an entertaining night!