Skip to main content
Topic: Sub-frame connectors (Read 2990 times) previous topic - next topic

Sub-frame connectors

'83 Cougar LS 5.0, has anyone added subframe connectors to their car?  If you did, how did you re-route the fuel lines that snake back and forth in the factory-severed frame rail space??  Thanks in advance.

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #1
Yup.

Didn't do anything with the fuel lines on mine, just wrapped a wet towel around them while I was welding.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #2
i think he meant the the fuel lines were in the way of the connectors. i know the rear brake line is in the way, near the firewall.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #3
Mine wasn't, at least not that I recall :dunno:

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #4
the earlier cars use a different fuel pump/filter/line setup than our cars.
It's Gumby's fault.

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #5
That happen to be right in the way on my 83 Cougar LS 5.0...
One 88

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #6
On mine I didn't have any issues.  I pulled the lines down from the front subframe while I did the welding and made sure they were clear on the rear SF when I welded back there.  The lines were then reinstalled in their original location after the welds cooled.  Did it on both '83's and the '84.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #7
Thanks, I just have to do a bit of re-routing.

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #8
What subframe connectors did you use, mustang ones? Or did you make your own.  I need to put some in myself.

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #9
mustang ones dont match the floor pan of the bird/cat.

nice thing is though, if you are goin bottom mount you can jus use straight box tube w/no breaks in it.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #10
Quote from: Red Spar;137578
What subframe connectors did you use, mustang ones? Or did you make your own.  I need to put some in myself.

there are one or two companies out there that still have tbird sfc.  I can't remember the names though.  I think MOtion Dynamics may have some, even MM IIRC.
Ryan[/i][/COLOR]
1986 2R[/b] SVO
1984 T-Bird 5.0 (In Hibernation since 10/96)

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #11
40bob sells some on his website.

But, they're really just straight pieces of rectangular box tubing with caps welded on the ends (they're cheap though, $65/pair and they come with reinforcement plates).

Also good luck finding any with seat braces as I don't believe anyone actually sells them with seat braces.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #12
Quote from: Red_LX;137803
40bob sells some on his website.

But, they're really just straight pieces of rectangular box tubing with caps welded on the ends (they're cheap though, $65/pair and they come with reinforcement plates).

Also good luck finding any with seat braces as I don't believe anyone actually sells them with seat braces.

Mine have got seat braces :D They were from the last few KB ones that Chuck sold here awhile ago. Unfortunately the only thing mine are bracing right now are the garage wall - still haven't gotten around to installing 'em. Might do that this week, now that the TC rear is in...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #13
I have made a set using sqaure tubing and we didn't do anything with the fuel lines cuz my friend had a fuel cell in his car but I am working on designing a set for my car and I don't have a fuel sell.  I will try to get a picture of the ones I made for my friend. I am a welder/fabricator and I would have to say that it is a little difficult seeing that the subframe is galvanized.  But I will see if I can get something for ya.

Sub-frame connectors

Reply #14
Well, I have seat braces too, I got what I believe was Chuck's last set of braces.

However, I figure it probably wouldn't be THAT hard to make your own seat braces. Would just require a little extra R&D work under the car.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip