Skip to main content
Topic: Chance to trade my 83 Heritage for a 69K mile 84 Turbo Coupe (Thoughts wanted) (Read 6115 times) previous topic - next topic

Chance to trade my 83 Heritage for a 69K mile 84 Turbo Coupe (Thoughts wanted)

Hey guys, i just got a interesting trade opportunity to trade my 1983 Thunderbird Heritage with 80K for a minty 1984 Turbo Coupe.  Both are white cars, both in about the same excellent shape and we are both willing to straight out trade.
The TC is White with the charcoal 2 tone lower treatment and a grey cloth interior in amazing shape.  Its an Auto TC which for 84 has to be a very rare option, and is the perfect unicorn car that i am attracted to.  This would be my first TC and first 2.3 Turbo.  What should my concerns be for this engine and turbo and what other trouble spots do i need to look for?

Thanks

D

XXX

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #1
Those Turbo Coupes did like to auto the automatic transmissions. I don't know about back in 84.

Personally, unless it was an upgraded motor, it'd pass. It's easy to drop in a 5.0ho into a naturally born 5.0l car if you want more power. I don't think I would do the trade.

On a side note, how do you like your 9-7X?

Reply #2
Quote from: jpc647;454842
Those Turbo Coupes did like to auto the automatic transmissions. I don't know about back in 84.

Personally, unless it was an upgraded motor, it'd pass. It's easy to drop in a 5.0ho into a naturally born 5.0l car if you want more power. I don't think I would do the trade.

On a side note, how do you like your 9-7X?

Speed on these cars was never my overriding concern or criteria.  I am into preserving our 4 eyed cars especially well preserved survivors as both of these cars are.  So the power differential for a 5.0 stock motor from 83 vs a TC 2.3 is probably about the same in terms of performance with the 2.3 a little easier to squeeze some power out of i have been reading.  I welcome more discussion about it.....

As for the 97X aero, it is my favorite non-Ford car i have ever driven.  Fast, fast and did i say fast? LOL  Its a very spacious, well equipped and thoughtfully designed truck, the 4.2 is powered ok, the 5.3 is lively, and the 6.0 which i have is an amazing motor.  Its the LS2 vette engine.

Reply #3
If the T/C is in sound shape body wise and the engine shows no obvious signs of issues (knocking, smoking etc.) I'd go for it. The early T/C's are getting rare and the 2.3 is a stout little motor, it can easily make more power with some simple modifications if you choose to go that route and there is a lot of on line support for them. The only drawback is the auto tranny, they are the weak link if making more power.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Reply #4
Personally I would keep the 5.0 car if you're not planning on modifying the car. It's going to be less maintenance intensive in the long run. Plus 2.3 turbo cars are not much fun with the auto trans. They have worse driveability with the auto trans than the 5.0 in your current car does. If it was a stick it would be a different story.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
I dunno, assuming the '83 is EEC-III, think I'd dump it... It's either that or one day convert it to the EEC-IV electronics...

Reply #6
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;454849
I dunno, assuming the '83 is EEC-III, think I'd dump it... It's either that or one day convert it to the EEC-IV electronics...

Bingo..... that was my thinking as well.  For me, fog lights, tach and floor shift = 200% perceived HP increase anyway.... lol

Reply #7
I've owned cougar-versions of both cars. It's about a tie to me. I like the XR-7/TC interior better. I Like the "lighter" feeling of the 2.3 when driving. But I like the instant torque of the 5.0. As far as reliability, they are also about the same.

The 2.3t auto gets a bad rap, but my current 85 XR-7 is an auto (and I owned an 84 turbo auto) and they are plenty of fun. I think in a race, my stock 83 5.0 would have lost to my stock 85 auto/turbo. But my 83 was the king of pulling trailers, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #8
Quote from: CoogarXR;454853
I've owned cougar-versions of both cars. It's about a tie to me. I like the XR-7/TC interior better. I Like the "lighter" feeling of the 2.3 when driving. But I like the instant torque of the 5.0. As far as reliability, they are also about the same.

The 2.3t auto gets a bad rap, but my current 85 XR-7 is an auto (and I owned an 84 turbo auto) and they are plenty of fun. I think in a race, my stock 83 5.0 would have lost to my stock 85 auto/turbo. But my 83 was the king of pulling trailers, lol.

So basically its just a matter of preference at this point.  I think im ready for something new and different in Thunderbird/Cougar land.

Reply #10
Quote from: MY83T;454850
Bingo..... that was my thinking as well.  For me, fog lights, tach and floor shift = 200% perceived HP increase anyway.... lol

Go for it... The '84 is first year for TC automatic and I doubt really rare(were std in XR7), maybe a quarter to third of total... The early TC used the C3 automatic, not super strong but far better than the A4LD used in '87 & '88... Biggest downside is with 3.45 rear & no O/D you'll be looking at shifter trying to find another gear...

I liked the auto in my white TC, with boost cranked up it was fun... I wasn't worried about the A4LD as car was slated from day one to become a 5.0/AOD swap victim...

Reply #11
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;454859
Go for it... The '84 is first year for TC automatic and I doubt really rare(were std in XR7), maybe a quarter to third of total... The early TC used the C3 automatic, not super strong but far better than the A4LD used in '87 & '88... Biggest downside is with 3.45 rear & no O/D you'll be looking at shifter trying to find another gear...

I liked the auto in my white TC, with boost cranked up it was fun... I wasn't worried about the A4LD as car was slated from day one to become a 5.0/AOD swap victim...

The 84-86 XR-7 Turbo cars were Auto Trans standard?  5 speed was the upgrade?

Reply #12
Yup, that's my understanding...

I dunno if it was a no cost option or possibly issued some credit if 5-speed was ordered...

Reply #13
I wouldn't trade a od trans car for a non of car if I ever intended to drove it any sort of distance. The od gear would probably make freeway the same or worse then the v-8 in all conditions above 35mph.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
Quote from: MY83T;454860
The 84-86 XR-7 Turbo cars were Auto Trans standard?  5 speed was the upgrade?

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;454861
Yup, that's my understanding...

I dunno if it was a no cost option or possibly issued some credit if 5-speed was ordered...

For the XR-7, it varied depending on the model year.

In 1984, the automatic was standard and the 5-speed was optional.
For 1985 & 86, the 5-speed was standard and the automatic became the option. In 1986 the Automatic on the XR-7 was priced at $315.00.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built