Skip to main content
Topic: So what can we do... (Read 17846 times) previous topic - next topic

So what can we do...

Reply #45
I feel as if all of the important players have seen this thread yet the elephant in the room has not been addressed.
One 88

So what can we do...

Reply #46
Man, okay. If I bug y'all that much, ill go away.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

So what can we do...

Reply #47
Quote from: CougarSE;467284
I feel as if all of the important players have seen this thread yet the elephant in the room has not been addressed.

Are you calling me fat?
It's Gumby's fault.

So what can we do...

Reply #48
I just haven't had the time to do much lately - it's deer season, and I'm typing this at the cottage on internet that is barely above dialup speed but less reliable. I will say this about the suggestion to update the forum to a more phone-friendly version: Have any of you ever seen what makes a website "phone friendly"? Because any time I visit a forum on my phone it is ab-so-lutely POLLUTED with advertising. Mobile-friendly seems to do nothing except take a perfectly cromulent website and turn it into clickbait. One thing we admins have been pretty adamant about with this forum, right from day one, is that it would never become one of those annoying places full of ads, and I have that same belief still.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

So what can we do...

Reply #49
Agreed. We don't really need advertising on this site, and even if we wanted it...there aren't too many businesses that would make us their target audience. ;)

So Carm, are you in for the upgrade? If so, who's handling it?

So what can we do...

Reply #50
Carm, have you put an adblocker on your phone browser(s)? It's a thing of joy. ;)

I can take or leave a mobile friendly version as I only ever check forums via PC, but I've certainly nothing against it. Some people do all their online stuff via phone/tablet, and that's good too. Having the ability wouldn't be a detriment..

:)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

So what can we do...

Reply #51
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;467290
I just haven't had the time to do much lately - it's deer season, and I'm typing this at the cottage on internet that is barely above dialup speed but less reliable. I will say this about the suggestion to update the forum to a more phone-friendly version: Have any of you ever seen what makes a website "phone friendly"? Because any time I visit a forum on my phone it is ab-so-lutely POLLUTED with advertising. Mobile-friendly seems to do nothing except take a perfectly cromulent website and turn it into clickbait. One thing we admins have been pretty adamant about with this forum, right from day one, is that it would never become one of those annoying places full of ads, and I have that same belief still.

This. Seen this happen to several forums, it murdered their traffic with slow page loads, glitches, etc. 

As for getting things moving quicker, my suggestion would be to encourage anyone doing mods/repairs/resto stuff to these cars, take pics and post up your progress and finished product impressions whenever feasible. I need to do this myself now that fall is here and I'll finally have some time to get a few things started.

I know its sometimes a mad dash to get stuff done over a brief wknd so the car can be driven to work the next week, so pics and a write up may not be in the cards but try to get some tips or ideas out there for anyone else doing something similar. We have some threads, more would be better.

The other thing would be getting someone from each state to try and get something organized for local meets or shows that nearby members can partite in with obligating themselves to crossing 3 states, hotel bills, etc. 

One of the biggest things holding the popularity of these cars back is lack of exposure. On the net and real world. They have always been kinda underground but I know from experience that if people see a nicely done fox bird or cat at a regular car meey or even driving to or from, they will notice or ask about it. Might inspire them to get one.

So what can we do...

Reply #52
Quote from: Vintage;467296
This. Seen this happen to several forums, it murdered their traffic with slow page loads, glitches, etc. 

As for getting things moving quicker, my suggestion would be to encourage anyone doing mods/repairs/resto stuff to these cars, take pics and post up your progress and finished product impressions whenever feasible. I need to do this myself now that fall is here and I'll finally have some time to get a few things started.

I know its sometimes a mad dash to get stuff done over a brief wknd so the car can be driven to work the next week, so pics and a write up may not be in the cards but try to get some tips or ideas out there for anyone else doing something similar. We have some threads, more would be better.

The other thing would be getting someone from each state to try and get something organized for local meets or shows that nearby members can partite in with obligating themselves to crossing 3 states, hotel bills, etc. 

One of the biggest things holding the popularity of these cars back is lack of exposure. On the net and real world. They have always been kinda underground but I know from experience that if people see a nicely done fox bird or cat at a regular car meey or even driving to or from, they will notice or ask about it. Might inspire them to get one.

This is something I agree with.

A small part of keeping the community alive is the forum itself. If you look at turboford.org, that forum hasn't been updated in at least 15 years. It's not very active, but it's not due to the forum itself.

The larger part of keeping this community alive is the members being willing to share. My car progress has been slow, but I'm currently gathering parts for a 5-lug SN95 conversion. Between my years as research and experience, and now starting fresh with this car, I can put together a very tech heavy article for the forum. While it's a very beaten topic, it comes up frequently enough to where having a solid article can really benefit the community. Rather than bickering with "do a search" or not responding because you're frustrated with repeating yourself, a link can easily be provided.

While I am excited to get the forum software updated at some point, we all still need to do our part if we want to keep this place thriving.
It's Gumby's fault.

So what can we do...

Reply #53
Quote from: Tbird232ci;467300
This is something I agree with.

A small part of keeping the community alive is the forum itself. If you look at turboford.org, that forum hasn't been updated in at least 15 years. It's not very active, but it's not due to the forum itself.

The larger part of keeping this community alive is the members being willing to share. My car progress has been slow, but I'm currently gathering parts for a 5-lug SN95 conversion. Between my years as research and experience, and now starting fresh with this car, I can put together a very tech heavy article for the forum. While it's a very beaten topic, it comes up frequently enough to where having a solid article can really benefit the community. Rather than bickering with "do a search" or not responding because you're frustrated with repeating yourself, a link can easily be provided.

While I am excited to get the forum software updated at some point, we all still need to do our part if we want to keep this place thriving.

Is turbo ford the one that holds the breakfast meet and great in Dayton Ohio ?  I wonder if they are suffering from the same things and maybe would be open to incorporating some non-turbo foxes?  I personally miss the meet and greet environment more than anything.  I know Dayton is not good for you, but it seems like a lot of your local people are already trying to organize an event, but another large population of board members is in central Ohio.

Sorry for formatting and grammar But I’m posting from mobile, something I do regularly.
One 88

So what can we do...

Reply #54
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;467290

I guess I always thought that those ads are something that the forums elected to have to  generate revenue. Some formats are absolutely awful like the corral and pirate 4 x 4. However others are actually very useful and ad free like Ford trucks.com and fordification .
One 88

So what can we do...

Reply #55
You know I think I agree with both the lack of people posting progress and projects, and also a lack of local car club meets. This forms been ad-free since the sleazy boards went away and I was always thankful for that in the early days of the internet. Having dial-up made it really hard to browse forms with video based ads back in the day.

When I did my T5 swap it was ridiculous how much traffic that added to the Forum. Maybe it's time to do stuff like that again. Maybe I'll post progress pics and real time. Going from an aod to T5 all but I could do in about 4 hours now start to finish. Maybe I'll start with my heater core that went out recently in my T-bird take some really good pictures even though Cool Cats is a pretty good write-up.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

So what can we do...

Reply #56
Whoa, there is a Turboford gathering in Dayton?
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

So what can we do...

Reply #57
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;467308
Whoa, there is a Turboford gathering in Dayton?

I remember hearing about a turbocoupe picnic/breakfast years ago but now I cannot find any info on it.  The only reference is someone on NATO posted an unanswered question about driving in from Indiana last year.  I fear I will need to turn to facebook to find answers.

On that note I went hunting for any kind of event to attend, even the Mustang boards.  I can't find anything that has happened close by in recent history.  It really looks like Carlisle is the biggest showing of cougars and tbirds.
One 88

So what can we do...

Reply #58
Maybe Graham needs to make another run of FoxTbirdCougarForum decals....though most of us probably still have some. I've got a spare one....just waiting on the day I get another 'Bird...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

So what can we do...

Reply #59
Good luck with that. Graham has been busy running a Facebook group and banning people who don't agree with him.
It's Gumby's fault.