Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Deck Speaker Question (Read 6075 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear Deck Speaker Question

while I'm redoing my interior, I am also doing my stereo install..

Question... will 2 sets of 5X7's fit into the rear package tray?

My plan is to install 2 of the 5X7's in rear / 6.5 in rear quarters / 6.5 in doors... 10 sub mounted into rear seat fold down arm rest area..

I'm running all new speaker wires and cables... NOTHING from the stock radio will be used...

what I have:

2- JL Audio XR570-Csi speakers
2- JL Audio XR650-Csi speakers
1- JL Audio 10W3V3D2 sub
1- JL Audio 300/4 amp
1- JL Audio 500/1 mono amp
    JL Audio 4 channel front/rear interconnect cable
    JL Audio 2 channel sub interconnect cable
    JL Audio #12 speaker wire
    JL Audio #10 sub speaker wire
    Kenwood KDC-X889 receiver
2- Kenwood KDC-CX87 10disc changers
    Kenwood KTC-100TR HD Radio box
    Kenwood KCA-220A media switch control
    Kenwood KCA-IP500 Ipod control unit
    Tsunami 2.0 farad cap
    Tsunami 1/0 Batt/Ground cable
    Tsunami #4 amp connect and ground wires
    Tsunami Digital fuse block
    Tsunami Dist Block 1/0 in - 4 #4's out

Reply #1
Are you planning to cut up the rear package tray? You could do that then use MDF and copy the carpeted cover. That way to can configure the speaker locations to the way you want too.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #2
that sounds like an idea... I haven't looked under the tray yet to see what is actually there... thought that someone here has already done it and had some tips....

I'm still working on gutting the interior and haven't gotten to the back seat area yet.

Reply #3
I had 4x 8" woofers stuffed in the rear deck of my 87 cougar back in 1995. I bet a whole lot more would fit in a tbird's big ol' deck, heh. Here's a py old polaroid of my old setup.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #4
Actually,the Bird's deck isn't much bigger.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
well I just got finished gutting the trunk area... after pulling out all the panels it looks brand new in there... the sound damping is stapled to the floor along with being gluded down. Thats going to be fun getting all that stuff up. I'm doing DynaMat in the entire trunk.

next is pulling the back seat out so I can remove the Premium sound amp and wiring.. then the quarter interior panels and rear tray...

how does the rear seat come out anyway?? that will be tomorrow's task :D

Reply #6
The seat is rather easy to remove
 Just push the lower half back and up at the same time.
 the upper half bolts in with the seat belt bolts.
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #7
After you get the seat out, it is a couple push pins and the third brake lite cover and the deck pannel slides out. Then you can see what you have to work with. I have seen some gas strut conversions that can be done on the Mustang trunk lid to get rid of the twisty bars to assist on the trunk lift. I can't remember where I saw them though. That will give you no restriction on the rear deck even if you cut the whole thing out.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #8
Quote from: 86caprirs;330473
After you get the seat out, it is a couple push pins and the third brake lite cover and the deck pannel slides out. Then you can see what you have to work with. I have seen some gas strut conversions that can be done on the Mustang trunk lid to get rid of the twisty bars to assist on the trunk lift. I can't remember where I saw them though. That will give you no restriction on the rear deck even if you cut the whole thing out.

I tried to lift the rear seat bottom up before calling it a night. It would not come up... I didn't try to push it rearward at the same time when lifting at the front.... I worked at a Nissan dealer as a Lead Tech for 25yrs... the Nissan has little pull tabs to release the front of the seat... simply push ths seat down, pull the release and lift up and the seat will come right out.

I will try again tomorrow morning....

Reply #9
Push your knee into the center hump in the seat. After you move it back alittle bit it will pop up. After you get it out you will see what I mean.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Quote from: Haystack;330486
Push your knee into the center hump in the seat. After you move it back alittle bit it will pop up. After you get it out you will see what I mean.

Ok... I will try that in the morning.... THANKS

Reply #11
rear seats are out.... rear amp asy.. out

rear tray is out too.... 2 sets of 5X7's will fit nicely...

ok... another question... mounted to the rear seat body brace is a green relay... it's on the pass side facing the trunk area... what is it for.. I want to make all the wiring back there to go away...

my plan is to cut the bracing away and install 3/4 MDF with a cut out for the sub to mount right where the rear seat center arm rest folds down... I'll make that board the front of the sub box....

Reply #12
Fuel pump relay
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #13
Quote from: Chuck W;330572
Fuel pump relay

ok... that will have to stay but get moved... :sawzall:

Reply #14
here is the back seat area with the seat removed / there is a sunshade in the back window...

notice the seat hooks that have to stay to hold the seat back in place..