Skip to main content
Topic: 83 T Bird no start procedure? (Read 5284 times) previous topic - next topic

83 T Bird no start procedure?

Reply #15
With #1 at TDC on the compression stroke, the slot the rotor plugs into on the shaft should line up with the "alignment ribs" in the distributor adaptor.

Reply #16
Interesting...I just got a call from my friend, the owner of the T-Bird, and he tells me he'd purchased a repair manual when he bought the car. This alone kind of surprised me because he's very NOT mechanical. But...he can read! LOL

Evidently there IS and anti theft system on the car from the factory. He says that it reads, "in order to disable the system you must either unlock one of the doors with the key or with the key pad. The cylinder's are frozen up and he doesn't know the code to the key pad. I'm REALLY hoping I can free up the lock cylinder.

Any ideas there or how to find out what the code is?

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply #17
The anti-theft is and optional feature. Just because the maintenance manual covers it doesn't mean you have it.

Looking at the 84 dospoogeentation that I have, the "start interrupt " part of the anti-theft feature prevents the picking of the starter relay. So you would not be able to crank the engine if the anti-theft is armed. If you open a door with the anti-theft armed it should set off the alarm.
The original (factory) keyless entry code may be on the Keyless entry module. It is in the trunk, underneath the rear window package tray.

Any feed back on your trouble shooting of the ignition problem?

Does your friend have the Ford EVTM ? Electrical & Vacuum Trouble-shooting Manual.

Reply #18
I'll second what softtouch said- The alarm only disables the starter. So if it's cranking, it's not the culprit.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #19
That's how I thought they worked too. It just seemed odd that none of that system was working before I messed around under the dash and now it is and coincidently, it won't start now either.

The car's still outside for another day or so so I haven't messed with it at all.

Reply #20
If you have a factory Ford anti theft system in the car, the center console panel will have a ALARM light dead center between the power seat controls.  If the Alarm is active (you must manually lock the door using the power door lock button inside the car before you slam it, the ALARM light will light up solid and then you have a few seconds to close the door.  If activated, the horn honks and lights flash.  There is a cut off for the ignition too.  Its a passive system, with no motion sensor.  Its a rare option, and i don't think its your culprit in this case.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #21
Good news! It lives!

It turns out that the coil wire was not seating all the way down into the coil and there's some corrosion down in the coil. I think the dealership pieced together a wire set and the coil wire they used has a boot that's a bit too small and the connector may be too short.

The weather was decent so before it got dark I went out, the car was sitting outside, put the timing light on the coil wire and found now light. I went back through and checked every wire, every plug, every connection, every ground yet one more time. Nothing. So I got mad and yanked the coil wire out of the coil and jammed it back in as hard as I good and hopped into the car. I decided to try it one last time and run the window up if it didn't start. It fired right up!

Now onto the next issue, leaking heater core....oh brother! I searched the forum and found some info and got started. Nearly 5 hours in and I'm a long way from even getting the old one out. Somebody do me a favor, remind me to never do another heater core on an 83 Bird again! LOL

Thanks so much for the help.

And by the way, if anyone has any shortcut ideas I'm all ears. I've got the dash a few screws shy of being loose, the console out, hoses off, evap lines off, kick pannels and trim off and the nuts off on the engine bay side of the heater box. It looks like another couple of hours minimum before I'll have the bad core out.

Wayne