Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W (Read 226672 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W

Reply #825
Quote from: thunderjet302;376946
Why all the tape on the center console?

I had to mod the console to accept the Mustang shifter. Covering it and the armrest with leather are on the to-do list.

Reply #826
I just put a water pump on this morning since the one I had on it started to leak the other day. On the way home from work tonight I realized I had put more than 1,000 miles on it since I started to drive it. In my mind that deserves a little reflection.

First of all, I want to list some of the things that are good about my experience. (in no particular order)

The power is nice. I always feel like I am sitting on an animal. I definitely like it.

The ride is very solid and comfortable. Just as I remember and expect from the Fox Thunderbird.

I like the carpc. I am always playing with it, at least until I get the software as I want it. I expect to just be sorting through different elements to get to what I will use on a regular basis. So far I have been listening to the HD radio or playing music from the hard drive the most.

I like having MS Tuner studio on-board. Big plus to have it on the center display.

Having the Garmin GPS built -in is pretty cool. I used it the other day to get to a guys house. I also have a screen that displays GPS mph and a compass with some other things. It's nice to double check the speedo with.

I like the way it handles in snow!  I am surprised by this since I thought it would be too squirrely to drive once the snow flew. I think because the car is a stock 5.0 out of boost it is manageable. I have to give high marks to the Yokohama Avid tires, too.

The tranny rocks. What else can I say. I'd do it again in a minute.

Some of the things I am disappointed in, or am going to be working on:

I have an oil smoke smell. Probably will until I get the breather contained and plumbed back into the intake. It takes away from the enjoyment when I come to a stop at a light and smell fumes.

I can't integrate the phone I have with the PC for taking calls over the stereo. Support just isn't there for this kind of thing for my smart phone. I refuse to downgrade my phone just to be able to use it  the way I want in the car. I solved this issue with a separate hands-free unit. It works great.

I wish my paint didn't look like gray instead of silver.

I think I need a different rear gear. Even with OD, I am over 2500 rpm at 70 mph. It's gonna hurt mileage. I will probably look for a lower numbered gear for the future. (This has 3:73's)

The car is running a tad hotter than the thermostat. I think I have that covered, since today I cut some cardboard and used it to block off the air from escaping around the radiator. Now it is directed through the core more, and my temps dropped over 10 degrees after doing only one side of the rad.

I think that making nice shrouds for the rad will make a huge difference.

Cup holder for chrissake!

The idle is OK for now, but can still surge at random times. Once I add AC it will probably be bothersome again. I may add an air valve to bump idle when AC comes on. If I had it to do again I'd go with MS2 and utilize a GM stepper valve. Even if it's only because I am fed up with the Ford valve .

So, that's my story so far. The car is over 95% complete. I still have to trim out the trunk and finish the side moldings as well as finish the tpuppies of the console. Then add AC this summer.

One last thought.

I was out recently with a friend who is a successful businessman, and coincidentally just bought a (spectacular!) twin turbo BMW. His car and mine got about equal attention from the peanut gallery, which was kinda cool. After all, mines 25 yo and paid for!

Reply #827
Nice, reflection sounds way better than contemplation :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #828
Hey Jim

All the turbo 5.0 guys say 3.27.  Which I just got off ebay for $30 shipped.  With your car being abit heavier than the average fox mustang.  Maybe 3.55?  But hardly worth the effort and expense.  I would personally go with 3.27.  You can always up the boost.  :-)  I have read abit about MS and idle.  Guys say add a couple of degrees of timing at idle.  It helps the transition. 

I really want to do the 4r70 swap....in 2013.  I will just use the built C4 I have for this year.  I have read OK things about the Mach1/Maurader torque converter.  Maybe a custom tc when my money tree blooms.

Travis

Reply #829
Thanks for the input, Travis

I'm thinking 3:27 also. Unless I come across a local, cheap, and complete late TC 3:55 axle  that I can just swap in real quick.

I have the idle bumped in the spot where it idles after the trans is engaged. It does help some to be sure.

I recently added a catch can in the valve cover vent and put a PCV valve in it so it closes off under vacuum. That helped the car idle better as well. Next will be to put a fitting in the air cleaner to plumb the breather back in to the intake tract and I should have the smell problem taken care of. (It's way better with just the catch can being relocated beside the radiator.)

Quote from: turbotrav;377667
Hey Jim

All the turbo 5.0 guys say 3.27.  Which I just got off ebay for $30 shipped.  With your car being abit heavier than the average fox mustang.  Maybe 3.55?  But hardly worth the effort and expense.  I would personally go with 3.27.  You can always up the boost.  :-)  I have read abit about MS and idle.  Guys say add a couple of degrees of timing at idle.  It helps the transition. 

I really want to do the 4r70 swap....in 2013.  I will just use the built C4 I have for this year.  I have read OK things about the Mach1/Maurader torque converter.  Maybe a custom tc when my money tree blooms.

Travis

Reply #830
With the stock aod and 273 gears, you sit 1400-1600rpm's at 65 and 75mph. The tranny you have is just slighttly lower overdrive then an aod. I know its not aperformance upgrade, but it would help mileage a lot.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #831
I'd have to think the mileage would see a large difference indeed.

Performance wise, the common view is that a boosted car will benefit in the 1/4 more from a lower numerical rear gear than a higher one. I am not very focused on racing so it's not too important to get the absolute best time out of it.

I am more concerned with mileage since I can't use the power this has on the street very much as it is. It would be nice if it would pull rather than spin.

I am thinking 3:27 would be the best compromise between economy and performance.

Anyone familiar with what would be a fair price to pay for labor to have a new gear installed?

Quote from: Haystack;377714
With the stock aod and 273 gears, you sit 1400-1600rpm's at 65 and 75mph. The tranny you have is just slighttly lower overdrive then an aod. I know its not aperformance upgrade, but it would help mileage a lot.

Reply #832
last time i had a trans shop do 1, i paid $350.. i supplied the ring, pinion and a pack of shims.. they supplied the bearings and what-not for the new carrier and pinion
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #833
I w
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #834
Ge
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #835
I think he has 3.73's now. 3.27's are a common swap for turbo v-8 guys that run at the strip. If they launch on boost it makes it easier to get out of the hole without spinning.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #836
Thanks. I was ball-parking 3-400 in my mind.

Reply #837
flylear.  If it is any consolation, I plan to swap my Lincoln Mark VII LSC rear end into the t-coupe.  It is 3.27 gear from the factory with Limited slip.  Should be an easy swap. 

If you want to go 5-lug, get a 91-92 Mark VII as the rear calipers are similar enough to the TC's for parking brake hookup.  But of course you have new tires on your snowflakes.

Reply #838
I thought the Mark 7 rear end was 1.5" wider?????!!!

Travis

Reply #839
Hey Travis... the Mark VII rear axles are about 3/4" longer than the TC axles.  But have to seen the wheel well space we have in the rear of the thunderbird/cougars?