Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Thunderbird with 20k miles, asking $15K (Read 3740 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Thunderbird with 20k miles, asking $15K

And it's not even a Turbo Coupe. Insane. It's a base V6 car with a few options. It's never going to sell at that price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Ford-Thunderbird-Base-Sedan-2-Door/282739660754?epid=74023542&hash=item41d498d7d2:g:P5MAAOSwevlaEUUm&vxp=mtr
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
More
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
More outside

Reply #3
Interior

Reply #4
More interior

Reply #5
Engine bay and chassis.

Reply #6
Huh, not as rust-free as I expected.

Yeah, it's nice and all, but not 15k nice.

I'd could get a daily-driver condition Buick Grand National for that kinda money, lol...
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #8
For 15k, I'd expect the ler to be replaced.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Quote from: CoogarXR;463773
Huh, not as rust-free as I expected.

Yeah, it's nice and all, but not 15k nice.

I'd could get a daily-driver condition Buick Grand National for that kinda money, lol...

I mean maybe, maybe $15K if it was a 5 speed Turbo Coupe. Maybe. Surprising amount of chassis surface rust for a southern car.

Quote from: EricCoolCats;463774
Cinnabar interior = teh hawtness. ;)

So much [COLOR="#8B4513"]BROWN[/COLOR]

Quote from: Haystack;463775
For 15k, I'd expect the ler to be replaced.

I don't know why they wouldn't. It's not like the factory ler with a hole adds value.

Reply #10
The yellow low-mileage 1984 Cougar that was sold last year...what was it, under 100 miles? It was sold locally to me and as luck would have it, the new owner took it to a service garage where a friend of mine works. He said there was similar rust to this car underneath. He was definitely surprised at that. If a car was driven for one winter, or in the rain more than a few times, and nothing underneath is cleaned well, that's what happens. It's likely surface rust but just a little ugly.

Ric's car has the cleanest underside I've seen. He's not afraid to drive it in the rain (to and from shows) but he also cleans EVERYTHING underneath to give it a nearly factory appearance. Not everyone can or will do that...so it starts to rust up just like this.

Ford didn't really protect a lot of the underside very well, let's face it...that's why undercoating was such a big sell at the dealerships. My own '84 had the ol' Ziebart treatment. And you know something? It worked very well. That car is pretty ed clean and it has almost zero rust. So there was definitely something to having it undercoated.

The price...we can always argue price. But I'm just saying: if someone picked that up for $7-8K, they could drive it to a LOT of car shows and pick up a nice trophy. It's that nice. A little work underneath and it would be a true time capsule.

Reply #11
Paid $17,000 for my 87 Sport Coupe new. Had all options except a moon roof. Paid $2700 in 03 for the 87 Turbo Coupe I have now which was built from my wrecked Sport. They might get 7 or $8,000 for the V-6 car. Very clean but I don't understand all the rust underneath.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #12
$7-8k is a reasonable price for what you're getting here, $15k is stupid clean Turbo Coupe money.

I know people will say "$7-8k is too much. I picked up my car for $1500." Yeah? Well guess what? Your car was no where near the shape this car is in, which is why it's worth 7 times as much. Hell I need to do a little interior spiffing up on my car (new headliner, sunvisor recover, repaint rear speaker grills) to even get close to this car.

Reply #13
My old Bird may be a bit dirty on the underside, but is nowhere nearly as rusty...

I wouldn't pay $5000 for it, but that's me and the yes I despise 3.8 thing...

Reply #14
For the right price keep the exterior/interior stock and swap in a V8. Looks like a stock old man car but it's fastish. Kinda like my Thunderbird.