Skip to main content
Topic: NLA -Both my old '80 Cougar XR-7's are available (Read 1010 times) previous topic - next topic

NLA -Both my old '80 Cougar XR-7's are available

Yes, both of my old '80 Cougar XR-7's (As found HERE and HERE) are up for potential re-homing.

The guy who has them is going to be out of the country for work for over a year, and he's decided to try and find a home for them. He'll just store them if he has to, but all the better if he can find a place for them.

These are current pics of both, as of yesterday. Both moved at some point back in Jul/Aug.

He hasn't done much to them in the time he's had them (usually busy with work) aside from drive them and put new tires on the white one.

The build threads for each are linked above. The pics for the grey one are mostly gone, but I didn't do as much to that one in the time that I had it.

The white one.

The Good
- Suspension and brake upgrades. (Lowered, 4-wheel discs(12" Vette front/SVO Mk7 rear), SFCs, big sways)
- 17" 94-95 Cobra Wheels with new tires (245/45)
- Manual swap (SROD 4spd and '84 SVO 7.5 - 3.45 rear)
- Rockin' Bittersweet interior, with Recaros and a center console
The Bad
- Very tired 302
- Body not the best
- SROD (very py ratio spacing on these)
- Windshield seal leaking again

The grey one

The Good
-Solid body and non-leaky windshield
-OK-ish interior
-OK-ish 255 V8
-OK-sh Snowflakes
The Bad
-Auto trans getting tired
-Surface rust on horizontal surfaces has gotten worse, but doesn't appear to be more than that.
-255 V8
-Not a whole lot of mods done to it. Pretty basic

In the end, it's probably best to smash both cars into one. If we had room for them, we'd grab them, pull all the good bits from the white one, INCLUDING the Bittersweet interior, and swap stuff onto the grey one, and drop in a different drivetrain. We just have no place for them.

I know these cars are an acquired taste, and not many folks have acquired said taste, but I told him that I'd put out feelers to see if there was any interest. They are located in Indianapolis, IN.

He's asking [COLOR="#FF0000"]$1,000[/COLOR] for the pair. Mainly because the white one has new tires. Nothing fancy, but 17" 45-series tires aren't the cheapest.

As I mentioned above, he doesn't NEED to sell them, and will just store them if need be, but just figured it would be better for them if they were getting attention again, even if that means sacrificing one to improve the other.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #1
 its one of my dreams to own one of these cars, but I don't have the time nor the space for them. I've already got five cars sitting in my driveway and its gonna be six soon luckily my neighbor lets me park on their property. Good luck to him hopefully they go into good hands
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #2
Chuck,
Are those leather seats in the gray car?  They look fairly nice.  And the white car may be the only manual-shifted '80 Cougar XR7 in existence.  It would be cool to have for just that reason.  Did you build the white car?  I think $1000 for the pair is a steal myself.  I also like the '80-'82 cars, just not as much as the '83-'86's.  My parents had an '81 T-bird Town Landau a long time ago, and except for the gutless 255 with a rear end geared sky high, it was cool.  I can't imagine combining these 2 cars, color-wise.  The white one would be my favorite, drivetrain and chassis-wise.  It they were mine, and money was no object (hee hee), I'd repaint and keep the white one.  Good luck to the owner (or you, as the case may be).  Just don't let them get crushed.  Later.

Reply #3
I think they're leather, but it's been a few years since I've seen them in person.

I did all of the work, for better or worse, on both cars (Build threads are linked in the original post). I'm sure someone else in the history of things has been silly enough to manual swap an 80 XR-7, but you never know.

I say combine them as I did, because all of the mods on the white car, save for the SFC's will unbolt and "easily" install onto the grey one. Less body work that way.  If you're gonna paint, etc, then it won't matter, as you can use the panels from the grey one on the white. That py windshield seal is kind of a deal-killer for me.

He's not planning on crushing them, but would rather they not sit, especially if they could find a good home.

Reply #4
Well, he's on his way to puppiesan, and the cars are in storage. :)