Skip to main content
Topic: 87 Thunderbird 3.8 coil springs (Read 952 times) previous topic - next topic

87 Thunderbird 3.8 coil springs

I need to replace front springs for sure and wondering if there is a better spring than the stock version for this car.
The spring on the driver side is broke at the bottom rendering one coil useless.

Reply #1
MOOG stock replacements unless you are wanting a performance change.  My guess your old ones are the originals and just replacing them with a new quality spring will yield excellent results.  If your front struts and rear shocks are in good shape them you may consider replacing the rear springs as well as that will greatly help the car.  Depending on mileage you might actually need to rebuild the front end with new lower control arm bushings and ball joints.  For the rear about the only thing you can replace is the bushings in the ears of the rear end that the UCA's attach to.  The UCA's and LCA's (upper and lower rear control arms) area non-rebuildable so the best solution would be something like the CHE units as they are the most affordable in the aftermarket world for our cars.

https://www.cheperformance.com/collections/83-88-thunderbird-and-cougar-parts

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #2
Thanks Darren,
I may deliver this 87 3.8 and drag home my parents 87 5.0 and give it a make over so your knowledge and experience will be a huge asset to me.
I need to get the bugs out of the 3.8 as I have replaced heater core, cylinder head( due to broken spark plug) and most recent a NOD distributor.