Skip to main content
Topic: Quarter window trim removal (Read 1145 times) previous topic - next topic

Quarter window trim removal

Hey guys, I'm repainting my window trim on my 86 Cougar and struggling with removing the trim.  Last time I painted it I just masked off the surrounding area and sprayed it on the car but I'd like to do a better job this time if possible.

Does anybody have any tips on disengaging the clips that hold the trim around the quarter window?  I got the driver's side off with lots of careful prying and I'm not sure I didn't slightly bend it anyway.  The passenger's side is not wanting to budge.  Thanks for any suggestions!

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
You got it...slide it a little, left or right, to help. Also, shoot some WD40 or equivalent on that clip before trying to wiggle it free, that also helps. The clips are made to be difficult to remove because it has to hold that trim piece very tightly. Just take your time.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.  I got the other one off, it's just nerve wracking.  I had some success prying a bit and then sliding a thin screwdriver between the glass and the trim and pressing on the hooked part of the clip.

The local junkyard just got an 85 Cougar in, I might go get those trim pieces as spares.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #4
Nice, thanks!  I had actually tried to make something like this out of some flat metal but it was 22 gauge and too flimsy.