Skip to main content
Topic: New wiring harness (Read 2162 times) previous topic - next topic

New wiring harness

I put carbed 351w in my car and my main question is can I buy a wiring harness just to run that and keep my interior stuff the same or do I need to rewire the whole car?

New wiring harness

Reply #1
As long as you have a distributor, coil, and starter hook up, along with whatever electrical gauges etc, you should be good to go. If your current harness has things like throttle position sensors and the like, you may have to find a way to bypass those.

New wiring harness

Reply #2
The engine harness is basically separate from chassis wiring. There are a few things like the fuel pump relay ect that tie into both body and engine harnesses, but you can basically take out all the wires just by pulling them out by the computer kick panel.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

New wiring harness

Reply #3
Thanks guys now that I'm older and a little bit wiser I want to do all this right this time. Right now the writings all over the place from the old 5.0 and I'd like to clean it all up when I put the 351w back in it but I'd still like everything to work lol

New wiring harness

Reply #4
What year is the car?

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

New wiring harness

Reply #5
The car is a 88 its got climate control and controls for both seats id like all that stuff to still work but as it sits now theres a ton of unused wires that went to the 5.0 and id like to just clean all that out of there.

New wiring harness

Reply #6
You need to get a wiring diagram for the car (a few folks on here have them and would share) and chase the wires that way.  I would not butcher the EEC harness as someone on here would pay good money for it as they are hard to come by.  If you have the wiring diagram you can figure out what systems in the car are part of the EEC harness and possibly work around them or find out you simply do not need them and can just leave the connection disconnected and move on.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

New wiring harness

Reply #7
Are you using the EEC IV ignition system?
Are you using the stock EEC controlled fuel pump system?
If that is two no's, unplug the EEC module and see what doesn't work.

There is a wire between the EEC and the electronic cluster.
Inside the electronic cluster it goes to the "electronic speedometer/odometer" and the fuel flow signal input of the "electronic fuel computer"

There is a wire between the EEC and the "speed sensor" that is used by the cruise control.

New wiring harness

Reply #8
Thanks for the help guys. My goal is to have NO wires in the engine that don't have to be there.