Skip to main content
Topic: Time to move again! Goodbye Nebraska, hello Ohio! (Read 2724 times) previous topic - next topic

Time to move again! Goodbye Nebraska, hello Ohio!

Our four years in Nebraska are just about up.  Our next base is going to be Wright Patterson in Dayton.  We have never been to Ohio so we are pretty excited.  Hopefully there are some active members nearby!

We are looking at building a house near the base in Fairborn.  Going to talk to the builder on Saturday.

I'm thinking about buying a trailer to tow the Cougar there and to hopefully pick up some more strays once we are settled.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
Good luck. Ohio is a pretty cool place if you have been out west a lot. Its weird how everything goes from a brown yellow to green when you cross the mississippi river. Quite a few of our old school members are from Ohio thanks to Eric and catjam back in the day.

Hope it all works out for ya.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Don't bring any cars that you want to keep, lol. We salt like crazy here in the Buckeye State...
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #3
Quote from: CoogarXR;454878
Don't bring any cars that you want to keep, lol. We salt like crazy here in the Buckeye State...

Easily solved buy owning multiple cars so the ones you want to keep nice are stored November 1st to April 1st ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;454879
Easily solved buy owning multiple cars so the ones you want to keep nice are stored November 1st to April 1st ;).
Amen.  It's a bummer, but a must.  Do it every year with out exception.  My pickup pretty much sets all summer long.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #5
I don't drive the Cougar in the py weather anyway because it doesn't have an HVAC system, lol.  It's not a big deal so much for the cold but sucks when the windows fog up.  The Suburban and the Volt are from Nebraska where they salt a bunch too so I'm not too worried about them.  We have a 4Runner too but I think we are going to sell it before we move in August.

If all goes well our new house will be built with a 3 car garage.  :)
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #6
Welcome to Ohio!  +1 on the salt used here!  As soon as a snowflake appears they go crazy and cover the roads with it.  I live in the Cincinnati area now but grew up around Dayton and went to school at Wright State University so I'm familiar with the area where you'll be living.  Look me up after you get settled.

Reply #7
You are getting ever closer to NY.... we may finally get to meet one day.  Good luck with the move....

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #8
Thanks guys.  I'll update as I know more.  David, I have always wanted to see some of the NE.  Maybe it'll happen.

Bird of prey, I ate lunch at the Big Boy across from Wright State on Saturday!  I'm thinking about checking out the Cincinnati Museum Center and possibly volunteering there.  I currently volunteer at a museum in Omaha (coincidentally also an old Union Pacific station) and love it.

The roads in Ohio seem to be a bit more confusing than I'm used to, lol.

Reply #9
Roads back east are terrible. No real grid system. Three right turns rarely bring you back to where you were. You will get used to it, but it takes a while.

Plus side, new York is only a few hours driver, its strange how small the states are on the east coast.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Im right on the Mi/Oh line outside Toledo.  I think one of the baddest TC on the planet is up here {Ethan B.}
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s