Skip to main content
Topic: New daily driver - 2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 (Read 4445 times) previous topic - next topic

New daily driver - 2003 Chevy Suburban Z71

I sold my SSEi daily driver about a month and a half ago and finally picked up a new daily.  I wanted something with 4WD for winters, comfortable for road trips, and that has towing capability so I can tow the Cougar to our next station and maybe pick up the occasional project/parts car.

I think this Suburban will fill all those requirements well.  It is in great shape inside and out.  It has power everything, heated leather seats, rear HVAC and entertainment, etc.  It has a pretty good sounding Bose stereo with a 6 disc changer.  The only drawback is it has 220k miles, but it runs excellent.  It has been averaging around 15 mpg, which is better than I expected.  It is also easier to drive than I thought it would be for such a large vehicle.

I only have one picture so far but I'll add a few more in the coming days.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
If i had to buy a "newer" gas truck, id probably get a chevy 1500-2500.

Ever match your bumper on your cougar up with an f150? When i had my 87 tbird, i met my buddy and he was driving his dad's 91 f-150 single cab long bed. My tbird was only about a foot shorter.

Most trucks also turn sharper then our cars, since they have such a long wheel base, they have to turn sharper.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Looks good! Ill tell ya I love my '00 Silverado. The only thing I can say I hate about it is the push button transfer case. The Auto-Trac t-case NP246 has a clutch pack in it like an auto transmission. Mine never had the fluid changed in it and when I changed it it had about a tablespoon worth of BURNT fluid in it so that killed the t-case. Just a heads up.

Reply #3
Nice. I love my Avalanche, which is just a pickup version of the Suburban (it shares the Suburban's coil spring rear end and all sheet metal from the rear doors forward). I beat the living hell out of mine - the only time I drive it is when I need to do truck stuff, including off roading (mine's lifted 3"), towing the camper, and plowing snow, and it never complains.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
My wife had a '00 Suburban.  Treated me good, averaged about 15mpg also.  It had 4.10 gears.  Ive had great luck with my Chevy trucks.  Have a '06 1500HD crew cab currently.
Mike

Reply #5
I usually only keep cars for a year or two but I can see myself having this vehicle for a while.  I've only found a few little things wrong so far.  Some burnt out bulbs in the radio/HVAC and steering wheel controls, a drip of oil here and there, an occasional Service 4WD message, and a clunky steering shaft.  They all seem to be pretty common and easily resolved from my research so far.

I'll probably be swapping out the head unit for something aftermarket with navigation and some kind of MP3 playback options.  I'll probably put a small subwoofer in where the 2000-2002 SUVs had them from the factory in the rear driver's side panel.  The 03+ with Bose have the subwoofer in the center console, which is kinda weird.

Here are a few more pics...

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #6
Nice Burban.  I'd love to find a 3/4 ton with the 8.1 engine.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #7
4 captain chairs..... Nice.
Mike