Skip to main content
Topic: New Daily driver! 2001 Bonneville SSEi Supercharged! (Read 2918 times) previous topic - next topic

New Daily driver! 2001 Bonneville SSEi Supercharged!

I sold my van 2 weeks ago and picked up this Bonneville on Monday.  I'm not sure it was the greatest thing to do since my van was pristine with only 51k on it but it sure was thirsty, only getting around 12mpg around town.  I bought the van for road trips because my son is 5' 10" and needed something with legroom but we just aren't able to take as many trips as we would like to.

The Bonneville is a 2001 with a supercharged 3.8 with 161k (ouch!) on it.  It is pretty much fully loaded with heated leather, sunroof, HUD, Bose stereo, etc.  It runs reasonably well but needs a bit of TLC in a few areas.

Here are a few pictures after getting it mostly cleaned up.

My apologies for the dirty garage, I tried to get a pic of the HUD here...
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
Nice comfortable ride, i had one but it was the SSE model.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
wow cool score

Reply #3
Clean...ride

Pretty good cars...keep an eye on the electronics...they tend to fritz

Travis

Reply #4
Thanks guys.  This car does have more electronics than any car I have ever had so hopefully they stay working for a while.  I'm not worried about the engine as they are pretty good engines but I might start saving for a built tranny, lol.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #5
Sweet ride. Funny part about that motor is there is a small aftermarket following behind it. My buddy had a grand prix that he was playing with. Forged internals, cam,ported heads, smaller pulley. It was a beast.

Reply #6
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;416875
Thanks guys.  This car does have more electronics than any car I have ever had so hopefully they stay working for a while.  I'm not worried about the engine as they are pretty good engines but I might start saving for a built tranny, lol.

Yeah the 4t65 that live with that motor is NOT going to live long with any kind of abuse.  But if you buy a factory SRTA transmission, it comes with a 100k mile warranty that any GM dealer has to honor.  Call a dealer and ask.  As for the engine........ well did you order a pulley yet?
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Reply #7
L67 cars a just great daily drivers....good power fuel economy, can be made to go fast.

Travis

Reply #8
As much as i hate GM products, I wouldn't mind having a late 90's Regal GS with the L67 for a daily driver.
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #9
Yeah, I really like this car for a daily driver.  Yesterday I gutted the airbox.

Before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXI4aNnLfio&feature=youtube_gdata_player

After:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9TgpnGRwiE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Reply #10
can the butt dyno tell a difference?
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #11
As a GM guy here is a tip if i may!!

1 Change all the idler pulleys and tensioners and make sure you do this and the belts.

2 Learn how to reset the PASS KEY or bypass the system permanently.

The 38 hundred is a tried and true engine. :hick::mullet:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #12
Butt dyno does register a gain with the airbox, but it might be from all the good noises it produces now, lol.  I ordered a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and downloaded the torque app to my tablet.  Pretty cool!

Reply #13
dude that's way cool what dose that cost ?

Reply #14
Dirt cheap!  The adapter was $13 and the app (the free version is pictured) was $5.  I used the free version of the app to make sure it was going to work before I paid for the full version.  Full version has LOTS more stuff and works as a code reader and can log data.