Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone else a farmer here? (Read 3007 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone else a farmer here?

My wife's family has an orchard with a retail store for produce.  We grow a variety of fruits and vegetables with apple's being the primary product.  25 acres are planted into fruit and 6 of that is peaches. We plant out 1 acre of potatoes and 1 acre of tomatoes.  Several other things are grown but that is the larger of the produce.  Gumby can tell you he has been there !!!
One 88

Reply #1
I grew up on a cattle farm and still help out when I can.  I sell John Deere equipment for a living so I am around farmers every day!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #2
I live on a 190 acre farm. Mostly hay here, haven't had any livestock on the place since before I was out of high school.
Dad's farm is 160-some acres, mostly soybean and some hay.

Yeah, I know my way around a combine and I can school most anyone on fence building.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
Grew up on a small 200 acre dairy farm, always had between 40-60 cows,  now it's just corn and beans for Dad. Seems like we were always making hay, if not for my Dad, for one of his 3 brothers that farmed near by, helped the neighbors bale also.  Still help out a little, mostly when things break down.

Reply #4
Quote from: CougarSE;415740
My wife's family has an orchard with a retail store for produce.  We grow a variety of fruits and vegetables with apple's being the primary product.  25 acres are planted into fruit and 6 of that is peaches. We plant out 1 acre of potatoes and 1 acre of tomatoes.  Several other things are grown but that is the larger of the produce.  Gumby can tell you he has been there !!!

ever heard of "suckering" tomatos?

it makes the fruit much larger, and the suckers never ever bloom so they are a drain on the plant anyway,, reduces chances of blight also

Reply #5
My wife wants to buy a very small farm and have a couple of animals. She loves animals. Other than that right now i own a HP FARM.

NO FARMS NO FOOD!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #6
I've thrown hay for a couple summers as a kid. the farm I used to go to is now a school parking lot.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
I never was a farmer, but I played one on TV.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;415764

it makes the fruit much larger, and the suckers never ever bloom so they are a drain on the plant anyway,, reduces chances of blight also

I do that every year. I've found I get more tomatos that way.

I have a garden. I can't "farm" as I live within the city limits. I planted 13 tomato plants, 4 brussel sprout plants, 4 zucchini plants, 4 cuspoogeber plants, onions, several rhubarb plants (which come back every year), parsley, rosemary, dill, thyme, basil, and mint. I end up canning most of it for use throughout the year.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10

I do oh so well. Now those suckers will bloom if you cut them off and jam them in the ground, they will become there own plant.  If we didn't sucker plants every day to every other day we would have a mess on our hands.  We even prune the plants to limit size.
One 88

Reply #11

Yep, when we were kids we had to pinch those suckers off of the tomato plants so dad could brag about his beautiful tomatoes.  LOL
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #12
not a farm for me, but i have much experience with a steaking two or 300 plants each year,, fuggers grow fast to so you gotta tie them about once a week.

ive got a long story i could tell about our families "beef steak" but ill keep it short.

when my uncle lester was in the battle of the bulge (wwII), he and his buddies were nearly starving.
uncle lester and the team trapsed across a field and got pinned down right in the middle of a potato & tomato patch.  pretty much all the fruits were devistated from past conflicts of the previous days/weeks.

he dug around up in the side of his fox hole and dropped potato's out to himself from "underneath"~~~!!!

well, there were some straggler tomatos and he had one that was as pink as pink could be, and huge.  he took some sead and put it in a hankerchif and mailed it home. 
from that day up until 2008, our tomatoes were started from seed,, from the past seed of the seed from that one single tomato.

i have the honor keeping this going, dad died last month but i was in the work shop and found the coffee can of starter seed, there are some beef steak seed for me to plant.  i wont get to it this year but maybe next.

even as a kid i imagined the war and what all he went trough as i planted all of them by hand... with a butter bowl of water in each hole being ever so careful to pull up the softest earth and not dirt clods around the tender little plant.  it passed the time for me and helped me disipline myself into a worth while effert that yielded us such great food to eat and to trade or share or simply give away .

its hard work doing a full blown 4 acre garden full of everything on a mans wish list every year, espeically with nothing but a hoe, a front tine Hahn 5hp 1974 tiller and tough hands/indurance.

Reply #13
well, humm,
ill treat the suckers with a little more respect next time because i never knew that!!!!!!!!!!

now i can call them "late tomatos" thanks to you!

Reply #14
Quote from: thunderjet302;415796
I do that every year. I've found I get more tomatos that way.

I have a garden. I can't "farm" as I live within the city limits. I planted 13 tomato plants, 4 brussel sprout plants, 4 zucchini plants, 4 cuspoogeber plants, onions, several rhubarb plants (which come back every year), parsley, rosemary, dill, thyme, basil, and mint. I end up canning most of it for use throughout the year.

start you some mint in the yard,, if you mow often then it wont hurt your feet or,,, find a wild patch of spiriment along a creek bed,, makes the yard smell wonderful
nice work on the spices and herbs, we do that to.

I bet the 4 zucchini plants did great.  If you like fried green tomato's, zucchini will act / taste and look like fried green tomato.