Skip to main content
Topic: Power window problem (on my Dodge) (Read 779 times) previous topic - next topic

Power window problem (on my Dodge)

My driver side window in my 99 Dodge Van started acting up last weekend and I am not sure where to start on fixing it.  It rolls up and down but makes crunching sounds and gets caught about halfway when rolling it up.  If I lower it a bit then go back up it goes up.  I have left it up for the last week but it is a huge pain to not roll it down because I live on base and have to show my ID to the guards several times a day.

It uses a cable type system that I am not familiar with and I have read that some conversion companies (mine is a Regency conversion) used different power window setups because they bought the vans with manual windows, so I am not even sure this is a Dodge factory setup.  Any help is appreciated!

Here is a video showing the issue I am having.
http://youtu.be/YcdereMYMbM
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
It sounds like the cables in the window regulator are coming off the wheel and starting to bind up where the window motor attaches. Reminds me of the Ford regulator issues that I have done over the years. One other thing my Church van (Dodge) had the same thing go wrong with it last year(factory p/w), it got stuck on us during a trip, had to force it back up. I then had to cut the cables to replace the assembly. Funny thing about that was I couldn't get the regulator with out a motor, but I could get just the motor if I needed it. I called my parts buddy and had him look aftermarket and no one seemed to be able to get an aftermarket regulator.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Reply #3
Thanks guys, I'll start shopping for one.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver