Skip to main content
Topic: Long Firestone Tires rant (about py, halfassed work) (Read 2268 times) previous topic - next topic

Long Firestone Tires rant (about py, halfassed work)

I just got home from the Firestone Tires on the base here where our Pontiac was getting some work done and I cannot believe the things I saw.  We are pretty pissed about it.

First of all, we should have known better than to go there.  We got some new tires there a couple of months ago and when my wife got home she the car was running really bad and kept dying.  I pop the hood and find this...

They lef the hose between the MAF and the TB unsecured so it was running like  because of all the dirty, unmetered air it was ingesting.  Nice.  They apologized and were pretty cool about it so I let it go.

Last Thursday we finally decided to get some wheel bearings done on the Vibe.  It had been making noise for a while.  Nothing terrible, but noticeable.  I tried to figure out which side was making noise and couldn't figure it out so we figured we would give Firestone another try since they are convenient (across the street from my wife's building.)  We took it in Thursday morning and they called us within 2 hours and told me most of the noise was the right, front wheel bearing.  They said the left side was somewhat worn, but did not need to be replaced urgently.  I told them to go ahead and replace both side while it was in there and they said it would be a couple of hours.

They called me around 5 and told me they had trouble getting the parts in a timely manner (in their defense, a tipped over cattle truck was disrupting traffic that day) and that it would be finished first thing in the morning.  I was fine with that.

The next day I dropped my wife at work and she was just going to walk over there to get the car during lunch.  She got over there and they said the spindle nut was stripped and they couldn't find one.  They said they had to get it from the dealer and it probably wouldn't be in until Monday (today.)  I'm sure they didn't think to check the Toyota dealer, but anyway...

We did not hear from them today so I called them around lunch time.  The guy said they were just getting all the parts they needed and were putting it together.  He said it would be done in the afternoon.  We stopped by at 6pm because they close at 7 and we hadn't heard anything from them.  The guy at the counter apologized and said they were having a problem with the bearing and offered to take me in the back and show me.  We went back there and had a look. 

The Vibe was up on the lift with greasy hand prints all over it.  The caliper was dangling by the hose.  The ground effects were being bent by the positioning of the lift arms.  He showed me the spindle while he explained to a stripped nut.  He said it was fine to use even though it was missing 1/3 of the threads.  After that I called his attention to everything they had done wrong and he admitted his tech did screw up bad enough to be pulled from the job.  He (this guy was the shop manager) said he would personally oversee the correction of these things and that he or the store manager would contact me tomorrow morning to speak to me about the job.

Here are the pics...
He found a better place for the caliper once I called him out on it.

The quoted price for this "work" I had done was $477.  I'm sure as hell not paying that.  I knew I should have just done the work myself like I always do.  This is why I avoid shops.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
I had a flat tire so I removed the wheel from the car and took it to Firestone.  They waited until after they dismounted the tire to tell me it is against their policy to patch a tire with tread as minimal as this.  It's a race tire and they could see the tread when I showed up so they could have told me when I arrived before wasting their time and mine.  Instead, they tried to push a new tire on me.  Of course, I just took the now separated wheel and tire somewhere else and got it straightened out without issue.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #2
the Vibe

(in their defense, a tipped over cattle truck was disrupting traffic that day)

Sorry to hear about all this...but those two quotes just had me ROFLing for some reason. ;)

Wow. Hopefully someone gets fired for this. Good luck with the rest of the fixin'...

Reply #3
I'd sue. You have clear evidence of them mangling your car. If that's what they treat the outside  like, imagine what they would do to the inside.

The arms they use to lift shouldeither have a screw height adjuster, like a heavy duty bottle jack, or a plate that flips up with a notch to hit the flat lift point.

Toyota/chevy can't make a wheel bearing to save their lives. If they bought a cheapy wheel bearing instead of a timekin, you"kk be back in there within a year or two.

I'd have them replace both caliper brake lines and charge them for a repaint.

Ever since I had jiffy lube forget to put my oil filter back on(that's right, I said back on. I wrote the service dateon it and they re-installed it) and had walmart break two of four lugnuts witout mentioning it, theonlying I bring my car to a shop for is tires, and I bring the rims down in another car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
The firestone near me hires dumbasses too. I buy my tires there since they are the cheapest, but I take them elsewhere to be mounted. I don't even trust them with that.

My brother-in-law worked there. Somebody was using a wrench as a backup to the impact gun, something went wrong and the wrench flew across the room and smashed my brother-in-law in the face so hard he had to have reconstructive surgery. It seems like a bunch of D-Students working there...
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
Thanks guys.  Good to hear I'm not the only one they show their stupid side too. 

The cattle thing was pretty crazy, here is a link to pics of the cows running around free on the highway.  http://odc.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=5002&p=3694#photo-showcase-cows-on-freeway

I guess I will have have to see what new shennanagins they have for us in the morning.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #6
When I was newly on my own I had a py old AMC  and took it to Firestone for a oil change when I left with it I went about 2 miles before it started rattling like a sewing machine, they changed the filter and forgot the oil, they ended up putting me in a rental car for 45 days and putting a brand new motor in a car that wasnt worth squat. Never trusted them for anything other than tires after till 20years later went to get some tires mounted and figured since I didnt have time to change my oil I would have them, what could go wrong. Well as I sat in the lobby I heard a horrid screaching crashing sound and figuring since the only vehicle I had seen move from up front was mine that it must be mine. I calmly got up and went to the shop and politely asked why my year old Explorer was sitting on the front of a Caddy. The guy was driving on the lift and mashed the gas instead of the brakes, launched it off the lift over/thru a tool box and computer and onto the front of the caddy in the opposite bay. Actually drove it off the Caddy as I watched.

Reply #7
Yeah, They employ guys that can't cut it at dealerships.  That isn't saying too much though, cuz I can tell you that at the dealer I work at we have our share of hacks and scammers.  I've seen much worse than your car, hold them accountable for all the damage, looks like the guys used a fork on your outer tie rod, killed the boot for you.  Good luck with your car.  Oh yeah BTW timken is oem for us at GM.
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Reply #8
Wait they want YOU to pay THEM?

Lawyer up and file a lawsuit.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
Yikes...this is why I do my own work. There's just no excuse at all for bending the ground effects like that, that's just pure laziness.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #10
I just got back from talking to the store manager at Firestone.  He was very understanding about the situation and said he would take care of it.  He is ordering a new axle for the mangled up side, filing a damage claim for the ground effects, and all I'm paying for is the actual wheel bearings themselves.  He also said I could oversee the repair myself or we could take the car to another Firestone (yeah, right) for them to verify the job was done correctly.  We are planning to go to out of town this weekend to Wichita and he said if the car isn't done he would get us a rental car. 

Overall, I would say he handled the situation well.  I understand that they can't supervise every thing every tech does, but this job was pretty much screwed up from start to finish.  We will see how it ends.

Reply #11
Good luck and hope everything turns out better for you.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #12
That's awful! I'm glad they're going to make good on it.

Reply #13
. Best of luck man...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #14
Get something in writting. It will go a long way if they don't take care of it.

I'd have that manager eating out of my hand before I left.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com