Skip to main content
Topic: PLEASE tell me there is a tranny fluid that looks like oil... (Read 2001 times) previous topic - next topic

PLEASE tell me there is a tranny fluid that looks like oil...

The 85 Cougar I just bought had a oxygen sensor code so I changed it out.  I took the transmission dipstick out to get a little more clearance because it is real tight in the oxygen sensor area.  I noticed the fluid on the dipstick was not red, but yellow like oil.  Didn't smell like transmission fluid either. 

I'm going to assume assume some jackass put motor oil in the transmission.  What do I do?  I had the car towed home and have only driven it around the block 1 time, less than a 1/4 mile.  Thanks!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=49005

A quick search brought up a thread from tccoa with a Mark 8 with yellow fluid in it. I think the consensus was that it might have been hydraulic oil? Possibly a foreign auto spec trans fluid.  Lot's of draining is potentially in your future unless you figure it out. You should call Blackstone Labs to see if they can pinpoint a type of oil from an Used Oil buttstuffysis.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #2
I sniffed the fluid some more today and it doesn't smell like motor oil.  It has a stronger smell.  Maybe it is hydraulic fluid.  Is it possible it's just really old transmission fluid?

Here is what it looks like.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #3
It looks like ancient transmission fluid to me.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Dex5 Won't yellow. I don't know about Dex3 though. I suggest hitting up Google hardcore for references.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #5
I have been searching since last night but haven't come up with anything good.  I may just change the fluid and hope for the best.

Reply #6
I've never seen it before, but it could be Type-F, an older Ford fluid....After some research, I'm thinking it could be gear oil. I think the stuff I put in my rear axle was that color! How viscous is it? Did the car actually shift through all gears?

Edit:
http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6207.html

I thought about it a little more, and Tractor oil is a possibility. My Uncle uses it in the forks of his motorcycle due to it's low viscosity. And the above thread makes it sounds more possible than gear oil.

Reply #7
I have only driven it once, and it seemed to shift fine.  I have only smelled gear oil once and I remember it was stinky, but don't remember well enough to compare it to this stuff.  I have used Type F before and it was red.

Reply #8
So it's probably tractor oil then. I can't see an automatic pumping gear oil very well.

Reply #9
How close are you to a place that can do a flush and fill? If you are concerned it is the wrong stuff, maybe try to get that kind of treatment done on it.

Personally, if it was mine, I'd probably do a couple of back to back fluid changes, driving the car just a few hundred miles in between. I'd do a filter on the first change (right away), then call it good after the second. It's not mine, and I'd hate to see you frag your gearbox. But if it was running OK, this probably won't harm it any.

The reason I'd do two changes is you won't get the fluid out of the converter doing it yourself. A couple of quarts will be left over. After the second change it'll be pretty well diluted.

Reply #10
The 87 I had looked just like that, tv cable grommet fell apart and thought the trans was gone. Fixed the grommet and had it flatbedded to trans shop, he told me fluid was old and dropped the pan and hope for the best. Pan was nice and clean and he was relativly sure that was the first time it had been opened up. Replaced the fluid and as far as I know the car is still running today. I believe i put somewhere in the 20-30k mile range on it after the fluid change with no problems at all.

Reply #11
It must be some form of hyd fluid. If it was oil you wouldn't be going any place without slippage. When I worked at a parts store a guy put Lucas oil treatment in his trans instead of the trans version of the stuff. He noticed it when he put the bottle in the trash. That was a full sized chevy van he couldn't make it out of the parking lot. They came and towed him off and did a full Flush and filter change at a shop that has a tranny machine. That took car of it. I would think if it was oil you wouldn't be going very far like that.

Hope this helps
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird