Skip to main content
Topic: Ohioans... (Read 1579 times) previous topic - next topic

Ohioans...

Monica Durban's Law....have ya read it?
1987 TC

Ohioans...

Reply #1
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/automotive-enthusiasts-against-monica-durban-law

maybe this will help you guys.

Ohioans...

Reply #2
Holy  that sounds scary! Quick, Ohioans, stop that bill!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Ohioans...

Reply #3
I fail to see what is so bad? Isn't it about street racing? I couldn't seem to find much about it.

Ohioans...

Reply #4
This *may* be factual, *may* not be so much...but here's some stuff I found:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2693693

I don't in any way condone street racing, but I feel like this is a bit too much.

Severe fines maybe, but impounding/confiscating/crushing someone's car? WTF...

What about the guy walking down the street when 2 (or more) cars go racing by? Like almost everyone, he's gonna stop and watch...so a pissed-off cop takes HIS car...even though he wasn't encouraging the race? Bullshiznit!
What's the guy to do, jump in front of a speeding car and holler "don't race, I'll lose my ride!"?

I don't have the answers, but I do know a shiznitty solution when one is put forth...and this one is pretty shiznitty.

All the time on youtube, there's countless videos of guys in 2000 Camaros, 2003 Cobra's, etc etc all on the street.

I figure if you have 30 grand to blow on a car that can run 12's...why not do it on a track where it's legal, and at worst only kill yourself if shiznit happens?

And to keep it in perspective, I lost my license for 30 days in 1997 because I sped and raced all over town...I'm just lucky is all, lucky I didn't wreck or kill anyone.

Not everyone is as lucky though. A fast car starts out about 12 seconds in the 1/4....death starts out at well, forever.
Don't be f*ckin' stupid.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Ohioans...

Reply #5
humm,, this shall be fun:D

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_HB_191

Ohio House bill 191 is adding some things to make street racing penalties much more harsh. Some of the additions:

(3) Except as otherwise provided in divisions (C)(4) to (7) of this section, street racing is a felony of the fifth degree if the offender knew or had reasonable cause to believe that a device or apparatus was connected to any vehicle partiting in the street race so as to inject nitrous oxide into the fuel or the combustion chambers of the engine of the vehicle during the street race.

"was connected" should read "is connected"
> if "was" is used, then any car that use to have it installed but no longer does still falls in violation by means of the use of the english legal application of the wording.

(4) Except as otherwise provided in divisions (C)(5) to (7) of this section, street racing is a felony of the fourth degree if either of the following applies:

where the hell is "divisions (C)(5) to (7)?

(a) The offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one or more violations of section 4511.20 of the Revised Code, division (B) of this section, or a munil ordinance that is substantially equivalent to that section or division;

what is section 4511.20 rev B?

(b) The violation caused physical harm to property in an amount exceeding one thousand dollars or physical harm to any person, whether or not the physical harm was caused directly by the offender.

ok,,, my wife gets scared because she sees a street race, she gets upset and therefore gets me upset because she is screaming to the top of her lungs beating on me , hitting and thrashing, worried like hell we are in the way......therefore i am physically harmed  or she is physically harmed?;)  yeah, theres money to be made here by a lot of people in small claims court.

(5) Except as otherwise provided in division (C)(7) of this section, street racing is a felony of the third degree if the offender knew or had reasonable cause to believe that a device or apparatus was connected to any vehicle partiting in the street race so as to inject nitrous oxide into the fuel or the combustion chambers of the engine of the vehicle during the street race and either of the following applies:

(a) The offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one or more violations of section 4511.20 of the Revised Code, division (B) of this section, or a munil ordinance that is substantially equivalent to that section or division;

(b) The violation caused physical harm to property in an amount exceeding one thousand dollars or physical harm to any person, whether or not the physical harm was caused directly by the offender.

(6) Except as otherwise provided in division (C)(7) of this section, street racing is a felony of the third degree if the violation caused serious physical harm to any person, whether or not the serious physical harm was caused directly by the offender.

(7) Street racing is a felony of the second degree if the offender knew or had reasonable cause to believe that a device or apparatus was connected to any vehicle partiting in the street race so as to inject nitrous oxide into the fuel or the combustion chambers of the engine of the vehicle during the street race and the violation caused serious physical harm to any person, whether or not the serious physical harm was caused directly by the offender.

is it me or does a lot of the above repeat itself?:dunno:

(D) In addition to any other penalty for a violation of division (B) of this section, the court shall suspend the offender's driver's license, commercial driver's license, temporary instruction permit, probationary license, or nonresident operating privilege for a period of not less than thirty days and not more than three years.

Not really all that unreasonable.. strict is good most times.

(E)(1) In addition to any other sanctions and in accordance with divisions (E)(2) and (3) of this section, the court shall order the immobilization and
impoundment of the license plates of or criminal forfeiture of the motor vehicle the offender was operating at the time the offender violated division (B) of this section if either of the following applies:

(a) The motor vehicle the offender was operating at the time of the violation is registered in the offender's name.

and yet as you read on, no mention of protection to the owner of the car which was stolen.  Sure enough, there will be cars stolen and street raced and the law will impound the car. 

(b) The motor vehicle the offender was operating at the time of the violation is not registered in the offender's name but is registered in the name of another person, and the person in whose name the motor vehicle is registered knew or had reasonable cause to believe that the offender would operate the motor vehicle in violation of section 4511.251 of the Revised Code or a substantially equivalent munil ordinance.

In short, this means that "I know my car might be stolen some day and that it might be raced on the street,therefore I am liable to any "unknown unknowns":D.

(2) When division (E)(1) of this section applies, the court shall order the immobilization of the vehicle involved in the offense for a period of one hundred eighty days in accordance with section 4503.233 of the Revised Code and impoundment of the license plates of that vehicle for a period of one hundred eighty days in any case in which the penalty for a violation of division

where the hell is E 1 at? where the hell is 4503.233 at?
Ah yes,, this is where your stolen car gets impounded because you knew it might be stolen and used like this.:D

(B) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree. In all other cases in which division (E)(1) of this section applies, the court shall order the criminal forfeiture of the vehicle.

is this a sentence? > "(B) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree."

(3) Any forfeiture of a motor vehicle under this section shall be in accordance with section 4503.234 of the Revised Code. If title to a motor vehicle that is subject to an order of criminal forfeiture under this section is assigned or transferred and division (B)(2) or (3) of section 4503.234 of the Revised Code applies, the court, in addition to any other sanctions, may fine the offender the value of the vehicle as determined by publications of the national auto dealers association. The proceeds of any fine so imposed shall be distributed in accordance with division (C)(2) of that section.

yo,, so where did that money go exactly?,,oh, Acorn:D

Sec. 4511.253. Every retailer who sells at retail nitrous oxide shall conspicuously post a sign that contains the following language: "Street racing on the public roads, streets, and highways of Ohio is illegal and punishable by a fine, a jail term or prison term, suspension of a person's driver's or commercial driver's license, and criminal forfeiture of any vehicle involved in a street race. Violators of Ohio's prohibition on street racing are subject to increased penalties if the motor vehicle operated by the individual in an illegal street race is enhanced by the use of nitrous oxide." The sign shall be of sufficient size to be clearly legible to a person of normal vision. The department of public safety shall make the sign available at no charge on its internet web site.

yada yada yada, good luck getting china to comply :rollin:

well,, in short, dont goof off on the roads.  Matter of fact, dont even look like your about to goof off.
Matter of fact, give police more power as they are getting most of it stripped away from them on a daily basis.
Look at washington state up near Bellingham where cops were gunned down by one bad guy. 
The law has officers afraid to pull a gun when now a days when the need to.
I am not afriad of the bad cops either.  I have never lost in court representing myself and i am 3 and 0.
When you can beat Fairfax County VA police , your doing something.  This is what I was told by a lawer after my case was heard and i proved the officer was not pacing  me as he claimed nor did he use a radar gun but issued me a ticket.
the rest of the times were situations where i knew i was wrong and paid the ticket.

Ohioans...

Reply #6
I had my license suspended and drove on it for 5 years before I got pulled over and told it was suspended. I was pulled over because my ler fell off and a cop thought I was speeding. He gave me a ticket for suspended license and let me leave, in my car. He drove off saying that I don't care what you do as long as I don't see it.

Everytime I dropped insurance on one of my many cars my license was suspended. They never sent me a letter or told me anything about it. When I was 19 I got a clean MVR report from the DMV even though my license was suspended for 3 years at that point.

I got it back when I was 21 and paid $300+ in $25 re-enstatement fee's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Ohioans...

Reply #7
From the other forum I read on this, the wording in such a way, allows a police officer to pull you over for speeding, sees you have something non-stock, and impounds your car under the Monica Durban law.  Far fetched? perhaps maybe, but we all know how things get taken from one extreme to another.  And after reading that other forum, I had to ask here, because there's a lot of Ohioans here, and dang near all of ya have either put a V8 into a I4/V6 car, or added an HO set up to an already existing V8.  Both considered illegal under this law according to that other forum.  So I wanted to ask here, if you all have been keeping tabs on this?
1987 TC

Ohioans...

Reply #8
Man, that is messed up.

Ohioans...

Reply #9
I did not read anything about mods other than the injection of nitrous and working calling out it be injected into the combustion chamber.

Ohioans...

Reply #10
Quote from: Haystack;302062
I had my license suspended and drove on it for 5 years before I got pulled over and told it was suspended. I was pulled over because my ler fell off and a cop thought I was speeding. He gave me a ticket for suspended license and let me leave, in my car. He drove off saying that I don't care what you do as long as I don't see it.

Everytime I dropped insurance on one of my many cars my license was suspended. They never sent me a letter or told me anything about it. When I was 19 I got a clean MVR report from the DMV even though my license was suspended for 3 years at that point.

I got it back when I was 21 and paid $300+ in $25 re-enstatement fee's.

Up here if you get caught driving with a suspended license or an unregistered vehicle with the tags expired you can get up to a $600 dollar fine and a night in jail. Sounds like you guys in the states need harsher penalties.

A while back I got a $550 speeding ticket that I neglected to pay, license suspended, I attended a 4 driving seminar (free), and then a 8 hour ($60) one in order to get my license back (after I paid my fines and the negative points off my license). I'm at -7 now and its $25 dollars for each negative point, you do the math. For that time that my license was suspended I drove, yes stupid as hell and everytime I went out I was paranoid of getting pulled over, it's amazing how someone can drive by the book when they have a $600 dollar axe swinging over their head.

Anyway just my :2c: and a little story.

'88 Mercury Cougar LS, 302, Project Car - "The Coug"
'83 Ford Thunderbird Heritage, 302, Summer Ride, - "The Bambi Killer"
'86 Chevrolet S10, Daily Driver -  "The Black Beater"

Ohioans...

Reply #11
I agree, the penalties need to be stiffer for driving with no insurance or license.

It f*cking amazes me how many drivers I know have no insurance, some not even a license, yet every day they go out and about...

Just one question for those here who drive without insurance...

What the hell are you going to do if you cause a wreck that seriously injures, or god forbid, kills someone?

Got an answer? well, don't post it because there is NO excuse for it whatsoever.

I think I have a bigger problem with drivers who have no insurance than I do with street racing...and I just about can't stand the ignorant 90-in-a-25 crowd. :flame:

/end rant.

I guess maybe growing up with more horsepower and torque than most will ever experience is a teacher of responsibility...maybe not, but there IS a place for 2 cars to line up and tear it down, and it ain't between here and the next light. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Ohioans...

Reply #12
I had my license suspended for no insurance because I didn't report that I had my insurance changed over to another vehicle multipul times. In utah, you insure the car, but not the driver. I got a speeding ticket the day after I got my license for going 30ish in a 10mph zone. Not a school zone, but a speed trap set at the bottom of a 6% grade. It goes from 30 mph down to 10 for no reason, and I didn't know that at that point in time. They took out the 10mph zone about 1 month after I got pulled over. Since it was so soon after I got my license, the put me on sr-22 insurance, which is the same  they give drunk drivers. 

When I didn't report that I changed insurance providers to go from $280 a month down to 150ish, they suspended my license. Everytime I switched insurance or traded it from one car to another they did it again. I went to several non traffice related courts and even got my driver reports and renewed my license before it was ever mentioned to me that it was suspended. When I was 19 I got a clean driving record from the DMV.

That being said, there is only one time where I drove a car that was un-insured, and that was when all 3 of my cougars and my dad station wagon and van broke down within one day of each other. I drove my dads yahmaha motorcycle to work with plates that expired the year I was born. The motorcycle was insured, but I did not have a motorcycle handlers permit so the insurance company reported that I personally was not insured, and that was the first time I was ever hit with no insurance.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com