Skip to main content
Topic: Troubled GM cuts back on NASCAR spending (Read 4549 times) previous topic - next topic

Troubled GM cuts back on NASCAR spending

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/74d25033b4f35ba7c0bdda0ea52922dc.htm

Troubled GM cutting back on NASCAR spending
    Troubled General Motors cutting back on NASCAR spending as it cuts costs
    July 17, 2008: 11:31 AM EST

NEW YORK (Associated Press) - Troubled General Motors has notified two racetracks that run NASCAR events that their current contracts will not be renewed as part of an overall $10 billion cost-cutting program.
That seems to be just the first step in what could be a huge drop in support by GM, Ford and Chrysler for tracks and teams in NASCAR's top three professional divisions, the NHRA and other racing series in the face of the weakest U.S. auto sales in a decade.
GM announced Tuesday that it had suspended its stock dividend and will sell up to $4 billion in assets, moves made necessary by the downturn in sales and the rising cost of gas.
And motorsports sponsorships will not be exempt from the cutbacks.
"Like all areas of the business, these areas have not gone without a certain level of scrutiny, and there will be modifications and changes in our promotional footprint in all of those areas," Troy Clarke, president of GM North America, said Tuesday. "We're not going to talk about the details today, and specifically NASCAR, but all those areas have been reviewed and will continue to be as we work these action plans through."
Speedway Motorsports Inc., which owns eight tracks that hold NASCAR events, already has been told GM will not renew contracts at two tracks _ New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Bristol Motor Speedway.
Scott Cooper, vice president of communications for SMI, said nobody is panicking.
"We've seen bad times with the economy before, and we'll likely see them again," Cooper said Wednesday. "At the end of the day, we've still got a sport that pairs up well with the American car manufacturers. We believe the sport will continue to have tight relations with those manufacturers."
GM has contracts with 12 of the 22 tracks where NASCAR's top Sprint Cup series races and is the title sponsor for the fall race at Richmond International Raceway.
Cooper said SMI expects GM and the other American car companies to continue purchasing hospitality, suites and track displays, although perhaps not at the same level.
GM also is the official vehicle provider for Daytona International Speedway, owned by International Speedway Corp., and a track spokesman said they have not been notified of any impending change.
It is expected, however, that all car companies racing in NASCAR and other American series will be forced to make cuts before long if the economic downturn continues.
SMI and ISC, both publicly owned companies, have seen big drops in their share prices this year, and the loss of what could be millions of dollars in sponsorship money and promotion likely won't help the situation.
NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said GM's news was not surprising.
"Obviously, we're going to continue to speak to all the manufacturers on a regular basis," Poston said. "But NASCAR has served them well, and they are getting a good return on their investment. And they know NASCAR has a huge audience and loyal fan base eager to buy their products."

Must really be the end of the world as we know it. Personally, I've always thought it funny that a manufacturer would spend money on a racing program that has absolutely nothing to do with any vehicle it sells, and (owing to NASCAR's anti-technology frame of mind) zero "trickle-down" benefits. What advantage could there be to a plastic-bodied full-tube race car that is identical to every other car on the track and can be identified only by the painted-on grille and headlights?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
No doubt. I can't count how many times Ferrari has come out with a new 'F1 Sourced' technology for their road cars.

Reply #2
It's called brand recognition/loyality. The fans who love Fords or a particular Ford driver in NASCAR, will buy Fords. Likewise for many of the other brands.

The true story here is yet ANOTHER part of American life is being affected by Mother &^%$#@ gas prices.

Side note.. Oil per barrel went down $10.00 the last two days.. Pump prices... NEGATIVE.. Still right where they were two days ago.

This shiznit is beyond getting old!!!!!!!:flip:
1988 Cougar LS 5.0 (currently parting out):cougarsmily:
1989 Mustang LX Notch 2.3 (Project):ford:

Reply #3
Nascar started out good but the last 10+ years the cars don't even look close to what you buy at the lot and its not like they could not cut down the laps and make it a shorter race and take a few dollars on for tickets.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #4
Quote from: GREYSHADOW;227823
It's called brand recognition/loyality. The fans who love Fords or a particular Ford driver in NASCAR, will buy Fords. Likewise for many of the other brands.

The true story here is yet ANOTHER part of American life is being affected by Mother &^%$#@ gas prices.

Side note.. Oil per barrel went down $10.00 the last two days.. Pump prices... NEGATIVE.. Still right where they were two days ago.

This shiznit is beyond getting old!!!!!!!:flip:
  I'd bet that any NASCAR track parking lot would be full of Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc. Very few people would buy a brand of car because a completely different car is doing well in the races...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
if the dodge charger stock would run 190 mph like in the 60's, I'll bet alot more people would buy them...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
If you think a stock Dodge Charger would run 190 in the 60's, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you cheap. If you think not having a top speed of 190 is holding a significant number of buyers back, I've got another bridge in San Francisco...

Reply #7
190MPH? Give your head a shake, man. :rollin:

There are seriously very few sports/super cars that can hit 190+ today. The Ferrari F430 Scuderia, which is a faster car than it's one time big brother the Enzo, only hits 198. Nothing shaped like a brick is going to hit 190. Not even the Daytona's or Super Birds could even dream of that, in street form.

Reply #8
Quote from: oldraven;227956
Nothing shaped like a brick is going to hit 190.

Then you've got the gearing and tires to consider.
Neither of which was sufficient in the 60's.

Also, the power required to run 190 in an aero-friendly package is well over what the 60's musclecars were producing stock.

A NASCAR Sprint Cup car usually has somewhere around 800-850 horsepower...did your dad's 1960-something (insert whatever here) make that kind of power?  No, didn't think so.

Not trying to bust your balls, but posessing the capability of speeds in excess of 190 is like the Marines; The Few, The Proud.

If my buttstuffogies are to be used...the box with a hemi that the Charger was, and is is basically a retired security guard to the context of the marines, lol

(it ain't shiznit)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
:rollin:
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;227896
If you think a stock Dodge Charger would run 190 in the 60's, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you cheap. If you think not having a top speed of 190 is holding a significant number of buyers back, I've got another bridge in San Francisco...
:rollin: :rollin:

LOL, do you have any more bridges we should know about?
:rollin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #10
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;227896

LOL living in the NYC area I thought that was just said here at least for the Brooklyn Bridge.

Reply #11
Quote from: GREYSHADOW;227823

You need to study up on the futures market... Oil is sold a month or more ahead of when it will be refined and put in the system... Prices should increase then start to fall... Locally reg gas has hovered just under $4.00 for the last month or more, every day I have expected to see it jump .30-.40... Yesterday it fell and was in the mid 3.80s...

As far as NASCAR... For the last 20 years(actually longer), it's been all about the "show", think Professional Wrestling...

Was fun watching Bill Elliott kicking the "big boys" asses in the '80s, but these days I don't pay much attention to what's going on...

Back when they ran AHEM, "stock" cars...

http://www.cottonowens.com/press.html

Reply #12
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;228253
You need to study up on the futures market... Oil is sold a month or more ahead of when it will be refined and put in the system... Prices should increase then start to fall... Locally reg gas has hovered just under $4.00 for the last month or more, every day I have expected to see it jump .30-.40... Yesterday it fell and was in the mid 3.80s...

explain how cost per barrel can go up whatever on any given "DAY" and prices respectively go up either "THAT DAY' or soon after.

So on June 20th 2008, per barrel did whatever on the market and on July 20th at 3:00 pm it goes up $0.15 cents when it was $.015 cents cheaper at 2:55pm because of the days trading on June 20th? PLEASE!

See it all the time...

The speculators need to have their nuts cut off anyways!!!
1988 Cougar LS 5.0 (currently parting out):cougarsmily:
1989 Mustang LX Notch 2.3 (Project):ford: