Skip to main content
Topic: Where to put the Tach Wire? (tach isn't working) (Read 2279 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to put the Tach Wire? (tach isn't working)

I'm just gettingdone doing the alalog cluster install from the base one.  I was wondering if anyone could post pics up of where they put it.

Sam

Reply #1
run it out to your engine bay and off of the positve side of the coil.

Reply #2
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;154316

Yep, ran it through the gromit for the shift linkage, but, what's the positive side?  do is go on the green or red side?

Reply #3
here's some pics. i used the spiter clippy thingees but you can use wirenuts or sodier it.

have fun! i hope that answers your question
I love it when a plan comes together!!!-Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Reply #4
Quote from: raser13;154321
here's some pics. i used the spiter clippy thingees but you can use wirenuts or sodier it.

have fun! i hope that answers your question

Yep, thanks

Reply #5
Positive? I've always run 'em off the negative. Positive is hot at all times when the key is on, while negative is the one that pulses...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Quote from: Sduneman3;154324
Yep, thanks

Ok, tried it, and it still doesn't work.  I have it on #16, what Cool Cats, and Thundercat's has.  It's a 6 cyl, so I added a 50k resistor in parallel to the one one there, so it would read right.  I"ll take it apart, and take some pics of what I did.

Reply #7
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;154325
Positive? I've always run 'em off the negative. Positive is hot at all times when the key is on, while negative is the one that pulses...

So your saying the red one?

Reply #8
Green wire, negative side of the coil.

Reply #9
Quote from: softtouch;154329
Green wire, negative side of the coil.

ok, that's what i did

Reply #10
This is what i did. (sorry for the horrible photochop)

There's the 3.8 in there till later this summer:evilgrin: , so that's why i'm trying to get it to 75k

Is there something i'm missing?

Reply #11
have you applied power to the red and yellow on position #1. that would stop it from working.DO NOT RUN IT TO THE POSITIVE(RED WIRE) OF THE COIL IT WILL FRY IT. i have the digital cluster with the tach on mine and it works it's on the green wire.
I love it when a plan comes together!!!-Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Reply #12
Quote from: raser13;154335
have you applied power to the red and yellow on position #1. that would stop it from working.DO NOT RUN IT TO THE POSITIVE(RED WIRE) OF THE COIL IT WILL FRY IT. i have the digital cluster with the tach on mine and it works it's on the green wire.

Yep, everything works, except the oil pressure, and the tach.  The oil pressure is becasue it needs a new sending unit (it needs the TC on right?) but i think i just figured it out, I forgot to put one of the nuts that hold it to the housing back on.  I'll try that, and see if it works

Reply #13
Quote from: raser13;154335
have you applied power to the red and yellow on position #1. that would stop it from working.

What do you mean by that?

Reply #14

I have mine on the neg side og the coil