Skip to main content
Topic: Sound deadening... Dynamat? (Read 2196 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound deadening... Dynamat?

Maybe this should go in Misc Tech, but it's also an Audio thing.  *shrug*  :dunce:

I'm wanting to start putting sound deadening in the car and am wondering what direction I should go.  Dynamat seems to be the standard, but I've heard that there are others which are better and cheaper.

Any idea how much does it take to do the trunk?  A full T-bird?

Thoughts, opinions?

Re: Sound deadening... Dynamat?

Reply #1
Most frequent alternative I hear of is some roofing material at Home Depot. I don't know what exactly it is, but I'm sure I'd know it if I saw it.

I used Dynamat once, on a computer case I had a ton of extra fans in. I don't know, at the price it goes for, if I'd wanna use Dynamat on something the size of a car vs. using the Home Depot equivalent.. but I'm definitely interested in using some sort of extra sound-deadening material on both Birds.

Reply #2
The foil-faced Dynamat is about the only Dynamat deadener that works good. I have 3--THREE--rolls of it in the convertible. The shop said I hold the record for a non-truck application. Didn't feel too good when I got the bill ($130/roll) but it did make a hell of a difference with the sound. There are other brands that I'm sure work as well and are probably cheaper in price. After talking to the shop owner, I'd say anything with the foil face is more worthy of your time and money.

Reply #3
Dynamat is really really expensive. Also the roofing stuff because it is made for roofs and not for cars will melt and get tar all over the place. If you become a member at sounddomain.com and talk to Ant who is the owner of Second Skin, he will give you a 40% discount if i remeber correctly just for being a member. He even pays shipping for all customers in the US. He is a really great guy, my order was delayed and he threw in free stuff for me having to wait. His products are just as good if not better than dynamat.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

Reply #4
Go to Home Depot and ask for Homasote.  It is a soundproofing material used for rooms in houses. It should run about $20 for a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
i bought some cheap rolls of sound deadner and it was a mess, but i bought mine from Menards.