Skip to main content
Topic: Shaking at speed. (Read 1456 times) previous topic - next topic

Shaking at speed.

The car shudders at higher speeds, but is not relative to speed itself.  It will shake like crazy sometimes, but fine a little while later.  It's not due to road conditions, either.  It will still rattle on almost all road surfaces.  The tires are in good shape, all properly inflated and plenty of tread left.  I'm going to get them balanced sometime this weeks to see if that helps.  It doesn't cost that much and they need to be rotated anyway. It is a little worse on deceleration while going down hills (brake is not being pressed).  I'm just kind of searching for ideas and some items to inspect.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Shaking at speed.

Reply #1
does it do it on really cold days only?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Shaking at speed.

Reply #2
I couldn't really tell you for sure, It's been really cold for awhile, lol.  I don't think it's relative to temperature though.  Possibly unrelated, but there is some squeaking going on near the driver's side suspension over bumps, etc.

Shaking at speed.

Reply #3
Is the stering wheel vibrating or the whole car? If it's the whole car shaking at highway speeds it could be:

wheels out of balance, or,
drive shaft out of balance
bad u-joints
ball joints are bad (could be your squeak).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Shaking at speed.

Reply #4
If the squeaking noise sounds like a rusty old bed, it's most likely your ball joints which could cause the vibration you are experiencing.

Shaking at speed.

Reply #5
If the shutter changes wit acceleration/deceleration problem nay well be U-joints or worn bearing/slip yoke in rear of tranny...

Shaking at speed.

Reply #6
I'd check the driveshaft u-joints and make sure all the bolts are in the driveshaft/rear end connection.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Shaking at speed.

Reply #7
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;255766
If the shutter changes wit acceleration/deceleration problem nay well be U-joints or worn bearing/slip yoke in rear of tranny...

This almost exactly fits.  It gets worse when slowing down and accelerating.  I also know the passenger side ball joint was replaced before I bought it so maybe the driver's side needs to be done as well.  Thanks for the input, I'll check those things out.

Shaking at speed.

Reply #8
if it's a ujoint gone bad you're on borrowed time.  once the joint starts seizing the whole drivetrain goes nuts and gets undrivable.  it could even happen the next time you go to the grocery store.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Shaking at speed.

Reply #9
Quote from: ~AC;255868
if it's a ujoint gone bad you're on borrowed time.  once the joint starts seizing the whole drivetrain goes nuts and gets undrivable.  it could even happen the next time you go to the grocery store.

Good to know, I'll be tackling the job today.  Parts are around 20 bucks, and the car does have nearly 200K on the clock.  Might as well replace them, right?

Shaking at speed.

Reply #10
If there bad, It could be a different issue. If its all stock,
Then you need to look for a stock problem.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Shaking at speed.

Reply #11
Got the tires balanced and the U-joints done today.  The joints weren't all that bad but I replaced them anyway since the driveshaft was already off and already bought them.  Shuddering has improved significantly, but it's still there to some extent.  I may check into the seal on the transmission next.  At this rate, I'll have a new drivetrain just in time for the cancerous rust to consume the rest of the body :D.

Shaking at speed.

Reply #12
I have that problem.It starts at 75 mph.A steady vibration.I'm swapping u-joints,lower a-frames (I got a set from Chuck with nice bushings,mine are 22 years old).I'm also swapping the seals and bearings on the differential and the strut mounts.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Shaking at speed.

Reply #14
Quote from: EricCoolCats;256037
Do you happen to have a weight on the driveshaft?

There are 3 weights spot welded to the driveshaft.  I made sure to reinstall the shaft in the same orientation that i removed it. Are you thinking it may be out of balance?